Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cheap bikes for a charity
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m going to be guiding for a local charity who are looking to buy about 24 bikes . We haven’t settled on an amount we have to spend yet, waht we think we need per bike (about £500+) and what the powers that be want to spend (about £200)are a bit different but we are working on them. Local shops haven’t been that keen or generous and I was wondering about approaching a supplier or manufacturer directly. Anybody got any experience of this or suggestions.

coatesy
    Free Member

Give us a call after 9.30, we can usually do a pretty good deal on bulk purchases like yours, probably on some of the GT range.02920371321

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

good old Sunset I bought my first MTB from you guys in 1993!!!!

chilli
    Free Member

I do a similar role where i work and we just got a load of last years Gt avalanche 3.0 RRp £330, shop did em for £250 each, seem like a good bike up to now,i would reccommend them.

gavinski
    Free Member

I don’t have experience of buying bulk – but i do have experience of trying to maintain them all.

Tell the folk that want to spend 200 per bike that they’d be better hiring for that money. I’m all for value and in fact pay as little as i can for my own bikes – but i’m quite happy to spend say hour/week keeping my own bike in condition,

bikes used by more than one person, used by kids/beginners, cheap bikes , bikes carried together on trailers get and bikes stored in space that’s not really big enough/dry enough – they all get trashed, put any of that together and it’s a nightmare. (in my own case it was all of the above)

The insurance implications for a charity could be pretty dire – so all bikes need to be in 100% condition all the time – that will be easier with a no nonsense but slightly more expensive bike.

coatesy
    Free Member

Munqe-chick, do I know you? stop hiding behind that nickname and show your face:)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Mmmm you may do!!! I have NO clue how to post pics of myself on here sorry! I have been riding with JIF and Ian Jeremiah for years and was a young whippet! In the mid 90’s I raced all of the Welsh series ….. real name is Fran …… helping at all!!?? what about you?
    I got a 1993 Kona Fire Mountain in the lovely grey and purple from Sunset! But got nicked after 3 months I was so gutted about that … replaced it with a 94 model which was red and I hated! It’s just about to die … after 14 years … who would’ve thought it.

coatesy
    Free Member

Not Fran White, used to have a mate called Jacky who rode a Sunn? I’m craig, you may know me as socks or specsavers.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I think the people responsible have been using that arguement, buy cheap buy twice etc. Problem is non bikers have difficulty relating to what is a cheap bike.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Coatesy you have mail thought I’d stop hijacking this thread!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cheap bikes for a charity’ is closed to new replies.