Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Cheap bike work stand – any good or no
  • peterich
    Free Member

Hi
    My inlaws have offered to buy me a bike stand for xmas (lucky me – well i have given them 2 grand kids)
    Anyway not wanting to take the piss and ask for a park tools one ive found a really well priced one on ebay that looks ok – what are your thoughts/experiences
    heres the link – feedback much apriciated
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150544733103?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
    cheers
    pete

butcher

Looks the same as the Aldi one. Which is OK. Some people I think have had a problem with the screwy plastic bits I think…mine’s been fine, but hasn’t been subjected to a lot of abuse yet.

jimmy

“You get what you pay for”.

Is the short version of what I can’t be ersed typing just now.

hambl90
    Free Member

Looks like very good value for the money to me , I’d buy one if I didn’t have a stand already.

Scapegoat

I’ve had one of these (Lidl, not Aldi by the way) for a number of years. I must confess to not loving it as much as I thought I would. The adjusters are OK, but I ended up drilling through the joint and using a coach bolt to stop the bike swivelling downwards.

Others may recommend the one at Merlin for £60……. £54 with current promo
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/workshop-tools/workshop/workstands/bike-tools-workstand.html

It looks to be less complicated and therefore probably better.

butcher

The one thing I would say about the Lidl one, is that it’s a bit cumbersome. It’s OK if you have plenty of space (and it’s very sturdy!), but you can forget putting it in the corner of the bedroom…

righog
    Free Member

Cant really comment on the Ebay/Lidl one. I tried one of these, bit more expensive but still cheap.

Cheap workstand

and have used it most days for about a year.

hallz
    Free Member

I bought this one from Decathlon (under £50) and its been really good. Very sturdy indeed…

Decathlon Workstand

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve got the wall mounted version of this that uses the swivel head off this. It works fie. I can’t see any reason to spend more.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ve got one sitting outside for cleaning. It’s ok.

It’ll never topple over. If you’re bike weighs about average you will end up modifying / drilling it to stop the clamp drooping – but once that’s done – its pretty good functionally. Note there are different versions of this Lidl stand – one year it’s a QR clamp, next year twist to tighten. The QR version is better.

Lastly – all the nuts rust – but as I said – mine is outside.

Personally I’d wait for this to be on special (usually around £60):
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/browse/accessories/workstands-bike-storage?brand=revolution

ads678

I have the ‘merlin’ one, I got it from ribble, it’s great, can’t rate it highly enough for the money.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

That ‘merlin’ one looks exactly like the ebc one in their store and is cheaper. So is it too late to change my alternate recommendation?

Neil-F
    Free Member

I have a Lidl one, for £30 its a bargain in my opinion. From Ebay it would work out at £10 more, stil la bargain, just a lesser one! 😀

eyerideit
    Free Member

Go on take the p1ss ask for a Park, you have given them 2 lovely grand kids.

You deserve it, your bike deserves it, the kids can use it when you teach them bike tinkering skills. In an investment.

Convinced yet or shall I bang on some more?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cheap bike stands can be rubbish or ace. Can’t remember where I got the first one from but it was rubbish and the clamp handle snapped off. Now have that one from Merlin and it’s so much better. Feels very solid, the clamp is good, and doesn’t feel like anything is likely to break on it. Recommended.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Got myself one off amazon for a tad more than the lidl/aldi option. It seems sturdy, lead spread is good so no wobbles, clamp is strong and so far no issues. Cant remember the name but have a search on amazon and look for one with blue clamps and grey tubes.

lunge

I’ve got the decathlon one and it is about the best £50 I have spent on bike stuff. Not pretty, not small or foldable but just a really good stand.

cooperman
    Free Member

Amazon are doing the PCS10 for £100.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-Mechanic-Repair-Stand/dp/B000OZFJS4/ref=pd_cp_sg_1

You’re worth it……

bikebob

If like others have suggested you do take the proverbial, as much as it pains me to say this, forget park. Feedback are the one. I had the Merlin one for years, you won’t get better for the money. Merlin is also cheapest and great service.
    For me it was just maxed out ( but did fit) my old odd shaped Marin top tube. I know, I should clamp the seat post. Anyway aver much, too much, looking I got a feedback elite. These are the mutts nuts. As for the Merlin one, still going strong so passed it on.
    I doubt you will unhappy with the Merlin one.

peasant
    Free Member

Rosebikes have one on offer for £40 +delivery looks very good

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Hi
    I have one like the one from Merlin. Its got ‘Biketool’ as a make on it & is pretty good – I have noticed that Evans do a similar one. I have quite a few Park tools but can’t see their bike stand being much better than this.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The main problem with the biketool type stand (merln, etc) is that is is not incredibly stable.

If you clamp via the seattube – as you should – then taking the front wheel off for example can cause it to close to tipping over.

However if you have a couple of sandbags or similar ready for those times where you need to rotate the bike to a funny angle or similar then it is OK.

You can also have the bike low enough so that one of the wheels touches the ground, which makes things more stable.

I had the Minoura RS5000

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minoura-4001443-RS-5000-repair-stand/dp/B000OYJFR6

which is the same apart from having a better clamp.

I got rid though for a feedback.

That park looks better than the biketool type stands as the legs splay out further.

wozza180
    Free Member

I just ordered me one of those Merlin ones, was gonna buy a Park tool pc10 but for half the price its gotta be worth a try.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I just ordered me one of those Merlin ones, was gonna buy a Park tool pc10 but for half the price its gotta be worth a try.

I have never seen anyone complain about the clamp so it probably will be – just put weight over the legs if you need it to be more stable and don’t forget about being able to lower the bike to put a wheel on the ground if needed.

granny_ring

Yep, good enough stands they are but agree you need to put put something on the feet to stabilise.

hilton83
    Free Member

I’ve had the wall mounted on of those for a year now with no issues, paid £22 for mine I think

chrssmale
    Free Member

Got the Lidl one. Also found it wasn’t the best at holding the bike upright, but I found a carbon paste has sorted that out 90% of the time. Does the job

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Cheap bike work stand – any good or no’ is closed to new replies.