Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cheap bearings – which ones last longer than a ride?
  • Leon
    Free Member

As in my other post, I need to do a full service on my DT 240S rear hub.

I don’t want to make a habit of it, so I’m looking for some quality bearings (6902, IIRC).

I’ve found the cheap ones from ebay, etc, a bit hit and miss. Sometimes they last years, sometimes 1 ride!

Can anyone recommend me some godo bearings, ideally cheapish (since I need 4), but I don’t want to have to touch these for a good few years

Thanks,

Leon

ruscle
    Free Member

Got same hubs and used to replace with cheap bearings as well with bad results. I use SKF bearings now, will cost you around £35 – £40 for the set, but well worth the money, super smooth and really well sealed so will last a long time, very high quality product. SKF are 1 of the top bearing manufacturers so can’t go wrong. I got mine locally at Swindon bearings 01793 615171, I’m sure they will post to you if you have trouble sourcing them.

bigjim

simplybearings.co.uk

Northwind

Definately don’t scrimp on the ones that are a sod to change (especially if you’re borrowing the tool! Though are you sure the middle one needs done? Usually the outers die a lot faster).

Personally I tend to use brands I trust- FAG, INA, Koyo and SKF. But the outer bearings in a 240 are dead easy to change so it’s less of a toil if you gamble on cheapies and they die fast. Results are pretty variable with no-names, I took 4 from the same source once and 1 lasted about 2 weeks, one lasted a month, the other 2 are still going strong a year later. Usually it’s sealing that’s suspect but here, those 2 early fails were just not very well made I think.

Leon
    Free Member

thanks for all the advice.

You do get SKF on eBay for about 4 or 5 quid each – are all SKF created equal?

Amazingly, it’s the one behind the ring drive that has gone. I think I killed it actually. I’ve had the hub about 7 years on my cross bike, which gets a regular filthy off road beating, and never once serviced it (It just worked fine, so I never bothered). when the freewheel finally did go sticky, I could not remove the freehub biody, so I just flushed it with WD40 and dribbled finish line wet into it.

Worked a treat on the freehub, but I think I killed the bearing.

As for the others, I’m not 100% sure whetehr they are ok or not, but I don’t want to do the job twice, so I thought I might just do the lot in one go, and hopefully get another 7 years out of it!

ruscle
    Free Member

I would believe that all SKF bearings are made to the same standard, they will usually come in their own little sealed packet and will have the bearing number on the outer edge of the bearing some where. Just looked at ebay and they look ok to me, as SKF do seem to stick a ‘1’ in their bearing numbers ie 61902 = 6902, just make sue to get rubber sealed!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You do get SKF on eBay for about 4 or 5 quid each – are all SKF created equal?

Yes, no, and no.

Yes, all SKF bearings are good
    No, they do make them to different grades and from different materials, you’ll just want the bog standard ABEC5, bearing steel, rubber/nitrile sealed ones.
    No, the Chinese will fake anything, even SKF bearings.

For what its worth, I’ve had better results with INA and SKF than FAG bearings, but that could be down to me installing them.

andy7t2
    Free Member

have a word with kaesae from this forum he supplies bearing sets and seem to know a lot about them and gets good reviews from me and other STW users

sv

seem to know a lot about them

That is a matter of opinion.

gets good reviews from me and other STW users

He also has bad reviews and his attitude on here and other forums is, at times, childish.

Leon
    Free Member

so, what I take from this:

– buy a proper make
    – get them from a proper bearing supplier

and then all should be good.

sv

^ Yes – have a look at Enduro bearings available from BETD :

linky

Leon
    Free Member

I was looking at those, but there’s nothing that says they are the Enduro ones.

Anyone used them, whatever they happen to be?

Leon

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I ordered 6001 bearings from BETD and got FAG bearings. They were cheeper than the local engineering shop and lasted about a year in my Hope XC hubs, by comparison the INA’s lasted about 18months, but its hard to quantify how muddy the winters were, whether they were subject to more washing, some WD40 got in there, etc etc etc.

kaesae
    Free Member

I would run a top end bearing, INA SKF NSK, rubber sealed, you should be looking to have the old grease removed and a tough good quality water proof grease installed.

You also have to be careful with fitting, use the old bearings to practice with before fitting the new ones.

If you decide to tap the new bearings in, place the old bearing on top of the new one and tap that, if any damage occurs it will be to the old bearing.

Fitting bearings isn’t all that hard, but there is always the possibility that you will damage them during installation. Which means they will not last anywhere near as long.

Once the bearings are fitted, check to make sure they are seated properly by rotating them, manually or by turning the axle.

If you want a hand, just give me a shout, or you can listen to SV and end up! not having a clue 😯 but believing otherwise 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cheap bearings – which ones last longer than a ride?’ is closed to new replies.