Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cheap, Basic B&B – Ambleside/windermere area
  • samuri
    Free Member

Going up to the lakes for a few days on a cycling touring trip. All I need is somewhere basic with a bed and some breakfast. Cheap as chips please. Wrong time of year for cheapness and availability but any suggestions welcomed.

It doesn’t have to be in either of the towns but that general area would be nice as would proximity to some kind of pub/food serving establishment.

Obviously cycle storage facilities would be useful too. Ta.

(I’ve discounted YHA’s as I know how mental they are at this time of year.)

Pridds

Not that mental in the yha’s this year apart from the weekends. Ambleside have dropped their price a bit for next week so might be worth a look

jota180
    Free Member

Wrong time of year for cheapness and availability but any suggestions welcomed.

Local news last night there was a piece about Lake District B&Bs having a terrible time with bookings way down and lots of availability, so you never know

samuri
    Free Member

There seems to be plenty available but only the stupidly priced ones, 70-100 pound a night is just crazy biscuits. It might just be the Ambleside/Windermere ones that are that way and I’m happy to go somewhere else, I just need some pointers in working out where could be best. I have a hotel (Grey Walls?) booked for the two nights I’m interested in which is 45 quid a night, I suspect that’s the best I’m going to get.

Last time I stopped at Ambleside YHA during the week it was really busy, filled with screaming kids till about 3 in the morning and drunk, rowdy blokes till about 6 in the morning, when I had to get up. I then cycled 110 miles with pretty much no sleep in me. Don’t fancy taking that chance again. I’m all about supporting the YHA and had many enjoyable stays there as a child but that put me off a bit.

ricardo666
    Free Member

I stayed at ambleside YHA which was fine for getting out riding and exploring.

But had the misfortune of staying in a room with 3 drunken noisy louts from huddersfield. A bloke and his son and 2 scottish climbers.

Of which nearly ended in a fight at 3 in the morning.

The poor lad didnt get any sleep, so all his adventures in grizedale forest on the Go ape circuit and a GPS hunt was abandoned.

I shall return to the hostel as I think theyve been barred.
    We all made a hell of a racket at 6am getting up and leaving, had to wait till 8am to make complaints with the managment.

Drac

We use the Lakes Lodge in Ambleside in the winter, but this time of year it’ll be about £100.

binners

We got a really nice Bowness B&B, cheap as chips a few weeks back. Because the weather has been so bloody awful bookings were right down, so they haven’t half dropped their prices! 2 nights for 2 of us, 5 star place,right in the middle of town, top notch full English Breaky. Under £200, all in.

Oakbank House

You can’t moan at that!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cheap, Basic B&B – Ambleside/windermere area’ is closed to new replies.