Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cheap and warm road cycling holiday?
  • MSP

Looking for somewhere cheap and warm to go in May for some road cycling, went to Ventoux last year, which was pretty much spot on, but would like to try somewhere else this year. I think may would probably be a bit too early season for the Alps.

So anyone got any suggestions?

neilthewheel

Tenerife has great weather, good roads, a blooming great volcano to ride up and loads of bargain flights. Resorts are vile though.

bob_summers

Basque country. You won’t find cols much over 1000m but you can climb all day if you want, there’s nowt flat here. Tour of the Basque country is April 2nd-7th.. if you haven’t decided by then, check it out on TV and see if it looks appealing. Flights to Bilbao or Biarritz.

Also check out basquemtb.com, Doug’s pics will give an idea of the terrain.

MSP

What would be a good town in the Basque region for renting an apartment?

FuzzyWuzzy

Andalucia – base yourself out of somewhere like Ronda and you have a lot of mountain routes to the North or can head down to the coast (Marbella) to the South.

doug_basqueMTB.com

MSP, there’s lots of options. If you wanted something organised then I can hook you up with someone who does road bike guiding, his English is OK but basic. They generally guide around the Navarra area (very, very close to here)and organise day trips further into the Pyrenees. Pamplona would be a good base if you wanted to do that. If you fancied a self organised thing then I would recommend Hondarribia to be based in. I’m not a roadie but I know of several famous roads you could do straight from the door. Hondarribia is like a small San Sebastian, so you get all the coolness but without the downsides of being in a bigger town.

I have some v. nice appartments I use for holidays and also have a rural house which we use. If you’d like me to point you in the right direction or help with booking then give’s a shout. We don’t do road holidays so I could help you out with some advice but I couldn’t organise/charge you for anything.

bob_summers

As Doug says, San Sebastián is notoriously expensive, not sure if May is off season or not. Also look at Zarautz (surfing town) or Getaria; great places and probably much cheaper. You also get into the countryside quicker, without trawling through the burbs and industrial estates to get there.

I’ve got tons of gps routes you’re welcome to, and if you want to hook up give me a shout. I’m out 4 times a week, you’d be welcome on my club run on Sunday. There are 4 local “martxas” (ie sportives) in May if you want to do a mass participation thing, and our club race is on May 6th.

davidisaacs
    Free Member

try http://www.bikingandalucia.com/roadcycling.asp has the best roads and climate in Europe!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cheap and warm road cycling holiday?’ is closed to new replies.