• This topic has 107 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by st.
Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Cheap 29er hooligan hardtail. Does it exist?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

2cm makes that much difference? That’s about the depth of my little finger.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I used to feel the same way.So I played about with the sliding dropouts on my Unit during a ride.Changing from longest to shortest (about 25mm difference) and then re-riding sections.
    Then I bought a Yelli 😀
    Overall wheel base/front centre does’nt have such a large effect (despite the ‘I prefer bikes that are too small because they are more chuckable’ brigade) which is why I got an XL and run a 35mm stem 8)

mattjg
    Free Member

Fair dos.

I am amazed at the Yelli’s small turning circle without any sacrifice in balance at low speed. I showed it to a friend who has a MCR9 and said “look it turns very quickly because of the short wheelbase”, he said that’s nonsense they were almost the same, we put them side by side and he was right.

Gotama
    Free Member

No they don’t.Ison import banshee.

Ok, fair point but slightly facetious. Andy, might be worth having a word with Stif as they sell Banshee and are in your area. Alternatively Ison may be able to direct you.

matt – Only 2.5cm difference between the Yelli and the Swift and how differently do they ride. *Obviously other factors at play*

Rorschach
    Free Member

More factual than facetious 😉
    Pat keeps me in cakes and salsa stickers so I have to keep him sweet.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ah fair enough, you caught me grumpy and short of caffeine 😀

Cheezpleez

Why don’t Kona do the Taro frame only, instead of draping it with dross components?

I reckon there’s a serious gap in the mtb market. Kickstarter anyone?

Clink

I reckon there’s a serious gap in the mtb market. Kickstarter anyone?

On-one missed a trick – they should have produced this frame years ago.

Rorschach
    Free Member

On-one missed a trick – they should have produced this frame years ago.

This x10.

mattjg
    Free Member

How close is the Fineline Evo?

Clink

How close is the Fineline Evo?

Close – but not quite there. And it would be better in steel or alu.

Ragley Bigwig – close – but not there.

Cheezpleez

Agree re Fireline – it may be cheap for Ti but it’s not cheap. Doesn’t the Bigwig have pretty standard chainstays – 445 or something?

spev

yeah the BigWig stays are 445, can’t say I’ve noticed it feeling barge like, it jumps well (skills park at afan) corners very well and whips through singletrack, i’ve got external lower cup headset with a 120mm xfusion fork to slacken it off a bit. It also quite a bit cheaper than the other options (Paradox, Yelli etc)

i’ve got the finalised geo sheet for the bigwig if any wants it
    email me spev11 at gmail.com and i’ll send it on

Cheezpleez

29er hardtail fun index:

Head angle: One point for every degree slacker than 70
    Chainstay length: One point for every 5mm under 445mm
    Frame weight: One point for every half pound under 6lb

Negative points apply if measurements go the other way.

I think this should prove that the Yelli is currently the funnest 29er hardtail on the planet. What else needs adding to the formula?

mattjg
    Free Member

[takes Cheez to the side]

You’re gonna buy a Yelli. You know it and we all know it. You even had me buy one as a proxy but then the plan backfired because I love it and you rode it and you loved it.

Lets just get the denial to acceptance process over quickly so we can get out and ride them. We’re not getting any younger are we?

[/takes Cheez to the side]

Rorschach
    Free Member

Just came in from riding mine IN THE SUN!! wtf.
    It really does make me piss myself laughing 😆

andycs

I realize that the Yelli is fun but, how is it as an all day bike, up as well as down?

mattjg
    Free Member

Andy the longest ride I have done is 2 1/2 hours. Compared to my Selma, the position on the Yelli is a little shorter and more upright, which makes sense given its pedigree.

IMO if map crossing is the priority it’s not the bike to choose, but I see no reason why it shouldn’t be capable. I rode a friends FF29 and I have a Salsa Selma, in terms of pure efficiency, converting pressure on the pedals into forwards motion, they’re both noticeably superior, but the Yelli is no slouch.

For an alu HT I don’t find the Yelli harsh, but it doesn’t have steel twang either.

It’s not a sit and spin bike, it rewards agression on climbs, get out of the saddle and give it some. I’ve been riding a lot of SS recently so this is no bother to me, actually climbing in the saddle is a bit odd nowadays, but I couldn’t sustain it all day! (I may well SS my Yelli too).

andycs

My riding does seem to be moving towards bigger distances, although I do like a bike that is fun to ride. Seems like the Trek could be the answer.

mattjg
    Free Member

Could be. If you’re looking for more of an all rounder I’d also look at the steel Niner, or a Singular Swift (just happens I have a medium that needs a good home).

Rorschach
    Free Member

There are bikes that do the ‘all day’ thing better.Thats why I’ve got a scandal as well.I suspect you could spec the Yelli into a more xc role.Much like you can put lipstick on a pig 😐

singlecrack
    Free Member

You need to ride the Yelli like you did on your bmx as a kid ….flat out stomping on the pedals …..everywhere 😆

Oh and I’ve done some 5hr + rides on my Yelli …the only thing it needed was the cane creek thudbuster

mattjg
    Free Member

was the cane creek thudbuster

that pic devalued the frame by two hundred quid

mattjg
    Free Member

but seriously, SPDs and a Yelli – is that wrong?

singlecrack
    Free Member

Depends what you want it to do !!
    I’m not worried what it looks like to others …….4 hrs across Dartmoor and my ass was fine 😆

Lol why can you not ride with spd’s

bigad40
    Free Member

Thanks dudes. I was thinking of getting a Specialized Camber 29er.
    But the Trek stache looks just like my kinda thing.
    Then start saving for the Yelli frame.
    Now 7 or 8?

andycs

Would be the 8 for me.

st

If you want a donor for the Yelli the. Get the 8, I made a few changes to my 7 ASAP including Shimano brakes and now an X Fusion fork to replace the Recon which was better than I expected but not what I’m used to riding.

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Cheap 29er hooligan hardtail. Does it exist?’ is closed to new replies.