Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cheap 29er as basis for xc race bike
  • kilo

Mrs Kilo has been doing various xc races for the last few years, mainly the Brass Monkeys series, on a more trail orientated bike (Ibis mojo 26er) whilst the bike is great she feels she might be better on something a bit more racerish and maybe increase the wheel size as well. I know the stock answer would be a Giant Anthem but that’s a fair wedge of cash for a secondary bike. I was wondering if a) theres a bargain xc bike / frame out there b) whether it would be worth getting and end of line bike such as a Giant talon 29er or a trek x-caliber 8 and swap wheels / tyres as needed and use that. Any thoughts?

br
    Free Member

An On One?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Id expect any cheap frame/bike will be a bit of a tank in comparison to a Mojo.

Might be a little faster though.

I’d go sh.

kilo

cynic-al – Member

Might be a little faster though.

I’d go sh.

Yes, the mojo is a nice bike but the Mrs kind of feels it’s a bit too much bikes for racing.

jonnyv
    Free Member

One of the blokes I ride with bought one of those Pinnacles Ramin rom Evans,it’s pretty damn good for the money.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i just bought the mrs one of these, its 28lb on the nose (without pedals) reasonably well specced, proper forks not XC30 things, could easily slice loads of weight off it replacing the cheap own branded kit, tubeless and converting to 1x

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-LTD-Pro-29-Mountain-Bike-2015-Hardtail-MTB_74536.htm

on cheap bike they hide weight, cassettes you can easily save 100-150g switching to a XT 10 speed,

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Yes, the mojo is a nice bike but the Mrs kind of feels it’s a bit too much bikes for racing.

does she want to keep it or any you building a complete new bike?

cheap Focus frame

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/focus-raven-29r-mtb-frame-white-black-red-id81566.html

the-muffin-man

^This

I’d rather race a Mojo than some cheap 29er.

What wheels are on the Mojo – is there scope for an ultralight race set (for racing only)? And any other areas where weight can be lost (dropper posts weigh a ton compared to a lightweight seat and post).

Or if racing is to be her thing – I’d sell the Mojo and get a proper race bike. And then add a cheap(ish) 29er for casual weekend rides.

kilo

she wants to keep the mojo, she could probably save some weight on the wheels though. For some reason she is reluctant to loose the dropper post – can’t persuade her to bin it

the-muffin-man

You wouldn’t go far wrong with finding an older 26er carbon Scott Scale. Sooooo light.

eshershore
    Free Member

if I had the cash, I’d pony up for one of these for my missus so I can wrestle her off her blooming Giant Propel road bike and get some dirt under her wheels!

njee20
    Free Member

If she wants the dropper post anyway then just ride the Mojo!

Agree on lightweight wheels – some 1300g race wheels with lightweight tyres will cost £500 or so, and transform it into a decent XC race bike.

mick_r

Getting a bit more expensive, but I think this is race 29er bargain of the year. Carbon frame, £900 fork, full XT and DT wheels for £1500.

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/cube-reaction-gtc-slt-29-2015.html?nosto=nosto-category-page-top

My 5ft 6″ Mrs fits the 17″. They come up a little bit shorter than the rather stretched Cube elite series (but without being stupid short “wsd”).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cheap 29er as basis for xc race bike’ is closed to new replies.