Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cheap 1x Cyclocross chainset on a 68mm HT2 Road BB
  • continuity
    Free Member

Sort of as titled. I have a bike set up with 105, that I am going to convert to 1×10 with SRAM Rival shifters, a 10-36, and a GX clutched rear mech.

Unfortunately the frame is BB30 with a Praxxis BB30-Shimano 68mm Road BB in it (in very good condition). I had planned to just throw some shimano MTB cranks on, but I realise that won’t work now.

Replacing the BB with a Pressfit BB30 would be loads of money (and hassle) – but is there a bodge? Or a decent light 68mm crankset that can be run 1×10 with a N/W 38t?

mick_r

Hope do narrow wide cx rings in 110 pcd 5 bolt – plenty of HT2 road cranks in that size if yours are 4 bolt.

charliem
    Free Member

If you’ve got a 105 (5800) crankset at the moment i’d just buy an aftermarket NW ring in whatever size you want. Wolf tooth for example: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/chainrings/products/110-bcd-asymmetric-4-bolt-for-shimano-cranks

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    continuity
    Free Member

ewww, sram shimano mixing.

But that does sound like the easiest plan.

cp

FWIW I’ve raced a season of CX with shimano 10 speed 5700 shifters, mtb 9 speed rear mech (with the spring tension mod) and a cheap superstar 110BCD narrow wide chainring.

Never dropped a chain…

YMMV but I’ve certainly never felt the need for a clutch mech for CX (which is I assume why you’re going SRAM?)

continuity
    Free Member

I was going sram so I could use 10 speed shifters with a 10 speed 36t cassette without a tanpan.

AND it seemed like a neat solution to get a 10-speed clutched mech.

steve_b77
    Free Member

continuity – Member
    I was going sram so I could use 10 speed shifters with a 10 speed 36t cassette without a tanpan.

AND it seemed like a neat solution to get a 10-speed clutched mech.

I run 5700 10 speed shifters, crank with superstar 38t ring, tanpan and 10spd XT clutch on a 11-32 cassette and haven’t had a single issue.

I think the clutch stops the chain being dragged up towards the chainstay, thus reducing the chance of ripping it off, certainly seems that way in the races I’ve done this season.

monkeyboyjc

I’ve just put a deore on my cx / gravel bike. Works with a 40t ring just fine and was significantly cheaper than a road or cx equivalent. Only downside is the additional 100g in weight. It’s obviously not 1x specific so a ring and shorter chainring bolts are needed. But I sold the three rings it came with for 20quid which covered most of that cost.

39.99 at Merlin

continuity
    Free Member

Can I just confirm: there are no third party 68mm cranks that take a N/W?

Categorically only shimano road?

If so I think a new PF BB30 and some ebay 30mm spindle carbon 110bcd cranks are the best idea. OR give up and go tanpan or 11 speed or 9 speed.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Can I just confirm: there are no third party 68mm cranks that take a N/W?

all (external) road is 68. any crank will take a NW – assuming you can get a chainring.

i bought a SRAM force chainset (BB30) and ditched the rings.

continuity
    Free Member

Aye, atm the Praxxis is a shimano fit so I think that’s my hamstring. I think I’ll try and 5700 5 bolter.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cheap 1x Cyclocross chainset on a 68mm HT2 Road BB’ is closed to new replies.