Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chatel -Jenkins descent?
  • fergal
    Free Member

Thinking of doing this tomorrow with teenager in tow, his bike handling is pretty good, how tech is it? Any info much appreciated.

Alex

It’s amazing. Here’s a pic n the way there

[url=https://flic.kr/p/f54Wwb]Way above Chatel[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Quite a ride to get there and to get back (we didn’t missed the last lift and had to get a taxi back to Les Gets from somewhere near Chatel with the bikes Which was fun).

It’s a few years ago so I can’t remember all of it. It was steep all the way down, rocky in places, loamy in other, some very steep hairpins and a couple of tricky slow speed thrutchy moves to get through rocks. I didn’t clean it, think about one of our group did.

I’m a pretty average rider and got down it okay. Had spent 3 days riding pretty steep / tech stuff beforehand which might have helped. But it’s not terrifying in any way so I suspect you’d be fine.

TLDR: DO it, it’s fantastic.

fergal
    Free Member

Thanks, sounds great,, anything in the U.K. to compare, trying to gauge difficulty, did a route out of VTT book very disappointing mainly fire road and graded V3! Jenkins is graded V4.

Alex

THere’s a V5 I think above linderettes (sp) – I didn’t do it but the rest did in the wet and spent most of it off their bikes sliding down the hill! So it wasn’t as bad as that! I’m out with the guys who I rode it with tonight so will ask their opinion.

Honestly tho I didn’t find it scary. Tricky and committing but not ‘arrrgghh I’n going to die’ which was my first impression on riding the swiss DH course a day later. It was easier than that!

fergal
    Free Member

Ps. I’m used to the steep stuff in Tweed valley/lakes.

fergal
    Free Member

Just thought I would update, Conrad absolutely nailed it, the traverse over from Morclan is wonderful then an amazing descent, top notch.

Alex

sorry forgot to get back to you! glad it went well.. did you take any pics?

vinnyeh

Does anyone have a gpx/map of this-can’t work out where it is?

razorrazoo

Honestly tho I didn’t find it scary. Tricky and committing but not ‘arrrgghh I’n going to die’ which was my first impression on riding the swiss DH course a day later. It was easier than that!

The Grand Conche? First third being basically a very long rock garden with switchbacks and the rest being super fast and flowy. That was an awesome run, stunning views and was one of the points when I wished i was on a DH bike like the rest of my group. No room for error on the top section of the one.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chatel -Jenkins descent?’ is closed to new replies.