Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chasing daylight….or when do evening rides become night rides?
  • rockhopper70

Just wondering what time STW members set off for their rides in this funny time of the year. Is it early to catch the remaining daylight? Or are we resigned to setting off at 7, leaving and finishing in the dark?
    The group I rode with brought set off time earlier and earlier to catch daylight to such an extent that my commute home made it impossible to meet. Come the deep winter it was put back to later.
    And is it always the two – three hour duration?

chvck
    Free Member

I usually set off in the morning or early afternoon…but I just finished uni and am currently unemployed! I’m hoping to get a job and buy some good lights, I’m more than happy to set off, leave and finish in the dark!

nickc

chase the last bit of daylight. Be starting night rides in the dark soon enough…

rockhopper70

!!!!!don’t start a lights thread!!!!! 😕

ahwiles
    Free Member

i hope we’ve all signed up on ‘lighter later?’

click

Hohum
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    i hope we’ve all signed up on ‘lighter later?’

click

but we would have moved an hour of daylight from the morning to the evening,

Please don’t sign up to this. It would make winter mornings up here in Scotland dreadful, the thought of it not getting light until 10 in the morning is not something I would like to entertain.

ahwiles
    Free Member

it wouldn’t make any difference.

i’m afraid i’ve got bad news for you; you live at about 57degrees north. in mid winter it’s going to be dark more or less all of the time.

the big difference with ‘lighter later’ will be during the transition months.

Right now, it’s getting so that i don’t quite have time to get home from work and go for a run.

under the proposals of ‘lighter later’ i’d be able to keep on going for my evening runs for another month or so, and of course i’d be able to start again 1 month earlier in spring.

reason being, even now i get woken up at 6am by the dawn light outside. why not ‘move’ that light to the evening?

rockhopper70

The publicity machine for lighter later needs to step up a gear as I have never heard of it ’till now!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve started doing my training rides at lunchtime. Brill.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chasing daylight….or when do evening rides become night rides?’ is closed to new replies.