• This topic has 32 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Chased by a dog, almost bitten on legs
  • project
    Free Member

Tonight cycling along on a shared use promenade, chap walking towards me had dog not on a lead as per usual, as i passed dog it started chasing and barking,i could have just given it a kick, or squirted it with the waterbottle contents,being a dog lover thats the last thing i would do,others wouldnt have any hesitation dog eventually got tired and stopped running.
    I was going to go back and poin out to the owner to keep his dog under control or it would be branded as a dangerous dog and possibly be put down,especially if it atacked a young child.
    Or should i have stopped and took pictures of dog and owner and reported to Police just incase it does attack somebody again.
    Discuss, doggie biscuits awarded for being nice and sensible

MrPottatoHead

Everyone knows some dogs love chasing bikes. What you should have done is stopped and said hello to the dog and had a chat with the owner. Or seeing as it didn’t actually bite you and probably wouldn’t have, carry on and not given it much thought.

jam-bo

iME it’s the quiet ones you need to be careful of.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    anagallis_arvensis

So it didnt almost bite you then?

skids
    Free Member

If the dog wanted to bite you it would have

dannyh
    Free Member

Bloody dogs on a farm that my regular ride goes through had me last Saturday. I had to stop to open a gate and the yappy little one goes berserk. Cue arrival of the big dog, which was fine, but then the middle sized dog turned up and clamped its teeth around my shoe (and foot). I ripped my foot out of its mouth in shock, but next time it will get a kick as well. I don’t like the idea, but in my experience dogs learn quickly. I used to have similar regular run-ins with a border collie on a farm. It was gradually getting ballsier until it got too close whilst I was riding and got a pedal in the gob (by accident). It was a lot less aggressive after that.

Other than this Pavlovian masterclass I can’t think of anything else.

MrNice
    Free Member

I understand the old fashioned advice was to get off your bike and grasp your frame pump by each end. As Fido lunges at you, baring its teeth, you push the sideways pump into its mouth. Then, when the dog sinks its teeth into the pump, you lift the pump upwards and kick the hound forcefully between the rear legs. I’m not sure it works so well with CO2 cannisters.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

What a load of twaddle bloody dog wasn’t under control, squirting it with water is hardly animal cruelty, you should of had a word with the owner and so what if your a dog lover, I am but been chased and bitten in the past my dogs not under control. What if you were out with a child on a bike who could of been bitten. Probably OP trolling but that’s my view.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Why is it that some dog owners think it’s ok for their dogs to chase people/bikes etc rather than have them under control? If you can’t train your dog then have it on a lead. Simple.

To the OP, if the owner didn’t recognise the problem then it’s unlikely you’d get anywhere with a reasoned approach, you’d have had more chance if it had bit you mind 😉

teethgrinder

Could have been worse. Could have been a cat shitting in your garden.

Jamie
    Free Member

This is why we NEVER leave the Evoque.

Squidlord
    Free Member

It could almost be a child’s face next time.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Everyone knows some dogs love chasing bikes. What you should have done is stopped and said hello to the dog and had a chat with the owner. Or seeing as it didn’t actually bite you and probably wouldn’t have, carry on and not given it much thought.

This

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Maybe it was a guidedog revenge attack

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Will you go to jail or pay very heavy fine if you kick the dog that is biting you and it die? Don’t get me wrong i’m a dog+cat bestfriend. Its just some moons ago it almost happen to me and i put my bike in between 3 not on lead dogs ..the smallest one is the mad berserk one while the other 2 german shepherd looks confused if they gonna join the barking biting party and if they decided so, the owner is still very far to stop the biting party… My probs is my superhuman kicking power 😳 not kidding

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hell when I’m in charge it will be a simple way to keep the streets clear of people and cyclists

Followed by 20 angry kittens

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I carry a small spray bottle of bleach. skoosh skoosh job done

Drac

Don’t tell me it was called Rover.

JonBoy
    Free Member

I think the Co2 could work pretty well. It would be like the scene from Jaws. BOOM SPLAT!

back2basics
    Free Member

with dogs in a town with owners, i stop and say hello,

with dogs in the middle of no where running in a pack off a farm, i pedal really fast and throw anything on the bike i can at them.

DezB
    Free Member

I only saw this:
    it atacked a young child
    I’ve notified the authorities.

olddog

I was bitten on the calf by a labrador once, it was on a lead and I didn’t surprise it as I was coming the other way. I slowed down as I always do, that’s probably how it got me.

Other than that, never had any real problems, but grew up around dogs and know that they are almost always ok as long as not surprised – I usually whistle or something if they are not looking.

This is apart from bloody springer spaniels – on me bike, out running they always chase me – they are not exactly intimidating though.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

This

If the dog wanted to bite you it would have

And this. Something the size of a Collie can easily exceed 30mph for a few seconds so unless you are going very quickly on your bike the dog could have caught you and bitten you if it wanted, it was probably just playing chase and if you’d stopped, it would have too. Same reasoning as when you are training a young dog to recall you never run after it, it’ll think that’s great fun and run away. You attract the dog’s attention and run the other way, it’ll think that’s fun too and soon catch you up.
    Best bet is to stop and hop off your bike.

buck53

Dog out of control is a pain, but this…

almost bitten on legs

Is pure conjecture on your part from what you’ve included in the post.

slowoldman

Chased by a dog, almost bitten on legs

I seem to have stumbled into the Daily Mail.

roger_mellie

Chased by a dog, almost bitten on legs

I seem to have stumbled into the Daily Mail.

I seem to have stumbled into my local paper.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

I was almost mugged by some immigrants the other day, they were talking all foreign like when I walked past but I just kept walking and prevented what could have been a serious incident!

Nico
    Free Member

Like being nearly pregnant.

jairaj

On a serious note, is there any signs or body language you use to tell if the dog is playing or wants you for dinner.

This kinda of thing has happened to me a few times ie dog barks and chases you. But I don’t have a clue what the dog wants and just end up crapping my pants and going into fight or flight mode. So far I’ve just about managed to ride away or owners have got hold of their dog before anything really happens.

It would be good to be able to understand what’s happening an asses the situation calmly and with logic rather than a adrenaline filled brain.

project
    Free Member

For Drac the dog wasnt called Rover but Tyson,thats what the bloke shouted at the dog,because in no way do i look like a Tyson type, and it was a small pit bull type, also been bitten twice on the leg by other dogs and it doesnt half hurt .

anagallis_arvensis

If the dogs barking its unlikely to bite you, if its bouncing about looking excited its unlikely to bite you. If the owner has it off the lead and dont look like a complete psychopath its unlikely to bite you.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

This is why we NEVER leave the Evoque.

Made me laff – nice one, sir!

Drac

For Drac the dog wasnt called Rover but Tyson

Whoooooosh!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Chased by a dog, almost bitten on legs’ is closed to new replies.