Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Charlotte Church what you going to do with that 600grand…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…something wrong with that amount !

give some of it away to a worthy cause that actually needs the money…no you wont will you !

I’m not for one minute saying phone hacking is good but if you don’t want the limelight don’t become famous… 600grand bloody joke !

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Eh? You been reading a tabloid again?

Her share is a fraction of the 600k. She took the case on her mums behalf. The share she did get is “dedicated to protecting her children from the likes of NoW”.

#Edit – as I read it the main reason for the big payment is the intrusive and abusive and long running reporting of her mums illness.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

dont really feel that sorry for her !

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Neither do I – but the reporting of her families health and hacking their phones to get the story was pretty low.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Does it matter? Rather her have it than the tabloids who have behaving in the way the have been.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

it sells papers ! (not to me mind)

famous people like being famous…it makes them money…see she made sh1t loads today !

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Be famous, manipulate the tabloids, reap the benefits, reap the pitfalls.

I don’t feel sorry for any one of them, wrong as it may be to hack phones.

Different story regarding “none celebrities” though.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Does it matter?

You can probably tell by now I’m a Murdoch lover – but how he chose to defend this in court was – “lets discuss every aspect of your mums health and hopefully you’ll be so embarrassed that you’ll settle early”. Which they didnt. Good on them.

molgrips
    Free Member

if you don’t want the limelight don’t become famous

That argument doens’t wash with me. If you want to make a living from singing, you should be able to do that without your private life being dragged through the papers.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Even if you do want the limelight you (and your family) should still be able to have a private life.

mudshark
    Free Member

The £600k includes legal costs but not sure what she’ll do with the rest to protect her children that she wouldn’t have done otherwise.

Apparently they ‘Took Pictures up My Skirt’ but I can’t find any evidence of that on the web….

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

it goes with the job of being famous that’s the name of the game !

kimbers

really? ? ?

her mum tried to commit suicide over the media exposure of her dads affair

the courts wouldnt have awarded her this money if she hadnt been properly screwed by the press and a lot of this is legal bills

Her mother and father were already reconciled after the affair; her mother was in “absolute bits” about what had happened but the News of the World “blackmailed” her into giving a first hand account of her trauma in exchange for not publishing “part two” of the story on her husband, she says.

Had the Churchs lost – and under civil litigation law there was a strong possibility of this – they would have been left with a bill of between £1.5m and £2m to cover the costs of News International

NI are scum afaic journalists, editors, ceos, former PMs press secretary, bent coppers, and public officials etc should be facing prison over this

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/feb/27/charlotte-church-phone-hacking?newsfeed=true

Pieface

it goes with the job of being famous that’s the name of the game !

Doesn’t make it right and its sad that it does

simonralli2
    Free Member

I feel quite sad. I feel quite sad at the systemic corruption, and I also feel quite sad that it seems that The Sun on Sunday sold around 3 million copies, although that was an estimate and could be over estimated by News International.

But to put Church’s payout into perspective, I have been campaigning to get justice for Hollie Greig, a Down’s Syndrome suffered who was sexually abused, but who the police refuse to help. I have written an article about the case here:

Where are Scotland’s Bravehearts?

These are just not such glorious days for the UK.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

simonralli2 what an awful story thank you for campaigning for her.

aracer
    Free Member

I presume you didn’t hear or read any of her testimony to the enquiry then? She was abused by the media when she was still a child. You have to be very hard of heart not to feel even a little sympathy for the way she was treated.

Is there really anybody here who would rather Mr Murdoch and his grubby little empire still had that money in his pocket?

kimbers

it gets better……… guardian scaremongering about murdoch taking over schools

i blame fatcha lifting the rule on media monopolies has dragged our country into the gutter

aracer
    Free Member

simon – have read your article, and just a quick erratum: twice you mention a campaigner called “Robert Green”, then shortly after you mention a “Robert Greig”. I presume from the context this is the same person, and that is a typo.

scraprider
    Free Member

this had nowt to do ith being famous, just the gutter press being out of control. i hope murdoch losses millions over this.

BlobOnAStick

600k given what she, her mother, father, partner(s) have been through (and children will go through for years to come) is not enough by a long way in my opinion. Infact I don’t believe that compensation expressed in financial terms can ever really capture the truely vile nature of the people that undertook such a sustained and hateful campaign.

No one deserves that sort of attention especially from such a young age and for such a sustained period.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Cheers folks. Robert Greig died in a car fire in very suspicious circumstances. Robert Green looked after Hollie and her mother after they escaped to England. He was prosecuted last week for handing out leaflets, and is now in prison for one year.

This Friday there is a court meeting in secret, and the result could be that social services take Hollie away from her mother. I have a second article here.

aracer
    Free Member

Robert Greig died in a car fire in very suspicious circumstances. Robert Green looked after Hollie and her mother after they escaped to England. He was prosecuted last week for handing out leaflets, and is now in prison for one year.

Yeah, I got that – but you say “the Chief Constable of Grampian Police – the force which failed to investigate Hollie Greig’s abuse, but can arrest Robert Greig for speaking out”

bwaarp
    Free Member

Some people are famous because they are actually pretty good at something….not because they “manipulate” the tabloids…. although I’m sure people would have different opinions about this had it been Paverotti getting 600k. Charlotte Church’s music = blarghhh

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Charlotte Church – a case of biting the hand that fed her. Courted the press all her life, along with all her family.

bullheart
    Free Member

I feel quite sad. I feel quite sad at the systemic corruption, and I also feel quite sad that it seems that The Sun on Sunday sold around 3 million copies, although that was an estimate and could be over estimated by News International.

But to put Church’s payout into perspective, I have been campaigning to get justice for Hollie Greig, a Down’s Syndrome suffered who was sexually abused, but who the police refuse to help. I have written an article about the case here:

These are just not such glorious days for the UK.

By God, what is this sodding world coming to? Bastards.

kayak23

if you don’t want the limelight don’t become famous

That argument doens’t wash with me. If you want to make a living from singing, you should be able to do that without your private life being dragged through the papers.

Exactly… This view that a Lot of people have that if someone is famous then they are open to any manner of abuse, intrusion and public humiliation astounds me.
    Sad world we live in.

tron
    Free Member

Absolutely right that there’s been a big payout. To me the big deal with phone hacking has been that people end up thinking that one of their close friends or family it’s leaking stories to the press. Can you imagine how corrosive that must be for all your personal relationships?

It’s surprising nobodies topped themselves over this.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

To put it into perspective, she had a failing musical career, decided to become a popstar, released some utter shite which was rightly slated bythe press, had various relationships with other high profile celebrities and then malrried a controversial rugby player. Oh, and also.had a wonderful chatshow that lasted for 2 minutes because it was so good. Now she’s back in court to get an extra five minutes of fame. Some of you need to get in the real world.

creamegg
    Free Member

you sound a bit jealous and bitter gary! Im not a fan of her’s but she played the papers at their own game and won. Depends on how you class failing. She’s not done so bad at being crap has she? Would you say you’ve been more successful at what you do?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Charlotte Church – a case of biting the hand that fed her. Courted the press all her life….

All her life ? I’m assuming you mean since the age of 14 ?

What a clever, precocious, devious, and manipulative, kid, eh ?

she had a failing musical career, decided to become a popstar, released some utter shite which was rightly slated bythe press, had various relationships with other high profile celebrities and then malrried a controversial rugby player. Oh, and also.had a wonderful chatshow that lasted for 2 minutes because it was so good.

It sounds as if you haven’t forgiven her for turning 16 Glitter Gary.

nickf
    Free Member

Now she’s back in court to get an extra five minutes of fame.

Strangely, Mr Justice Vos seemed to think she was there because of the criminality of the Murdoch papers. But you’re probably right, it was just some publicity stunt.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

How strange indeed.

martinhutch

SimonRalli

I have every sympathy with your campaign. Sounds awful.

However, as a former local journo, I’m familiar with this legislation in England and Wales concerning anonymity for victims of rape and sexual assault – is there not an equivalent in Scotland?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/34/section/1

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

not read all of this, but the size of the payouts when celebs are involved seems excessive IMHO.

If I get knocked off my bike, physically injured, can’t ride or work for a bit and my bike gets damaged, I’d be lucky to walk away with £5k. Given the choice, I would much prefer my phone to be hacked and untruthes printed in the press and would certainly be happy for that to go ahead for £600k

wrecker
    Free Member

Well done simonralli2, that story is shocking and disgusting. Good luck with the campaign.
    Toning down the scottishness would make it more reader friendly to non-scots though IMO. this is not a critisism (just trying to help), but for example I wouldn’t link to it through my FB because of it.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Yeah, that is fair enough, but the Flower of Scotland theme was meant for Scottish people, in so far as the campaign is mainly focussing its efforts in Aberdeen. It was meant to provoke a reaction in Scottish people, as opposed to anyone not Scottish. Also, my blog is widely read in the US and Latin America, and hence written with an international audience in mind too.

Also, I just felt really sickened by Alex Salmond now getting into bed with Rupert Murdoch and saying how he was fighting for Scottish people. No he isn’t.

Martin

My understanding was that the BBC’s Panorama team were invited to make a documentary because the system designed to protect Hollie had failed. However, the team were told that if they continued they would never work again.

So what we have here is not an isolated case I feel. These people have friends in very high places for this co-ordinated effort to have taken place.

And now we see just how bad the systemic corruption is with the phone hacking scandal. Same story – Police not interested in investigating.

The British public put really make a difference overnight if they stopped buying the Sun, but it seems that that is not going to happen any time soon.

martinhutch

Simon – I was just concerned about the implications of publishing her names/picture on a website, as you have done. In England that’s certainly a criminal offence with potentially severe penalties unless the victim is an adult and has waived anonymity. Has she done this/Is she capable of doing this in an informed way?

Apologies if it’s something that either does not apply north of the border, or something you’ve considered already.

rkk01
    Free Member

IMO the whole thing is very troubling. Particularly the repeated efforts (Church and others) to avoid legal responsibilities by threatening (actual or implied) further vitriolic smear campaigns. Despicable.

If financial damages are (part of) an effective means to bring the media into line, then so be it. Criminal prosecutions of those in decision making roles should be another measure, and after Sue Akers evidence to Leveson yesterday that looks like a realistic prospect.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Good luck to her and her family i say.

This is systematic corruption of both the Media and the Police, the two organisations we really need to be trustworthy.

At least we’ve got the politicians and bankers to make sure everything else runs smoothly eh??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Charlotte Church what you going to do with that 600grand…’ is closed to new replies.