Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Charley Boorman's Race to Dakar
  • Harry_the_Spider

Got the DVDs for my birthday and watched it in two sittings.

Bloody hell! It makes some of the stupid things that people on here get up to look like a tea party.

Even after watching all the crashes, getting lost in the desert, mechanicals, logistiacl nightmares, hitting camels at 70 kph and death a small part of me thinks "how cool would it be to do that?".

Well worth watching… but the theme tune will get on your nerves.

spoon
    Free Member

He is still a massive c**k though, can't stand the bloke -obviously never met him but that's beside the point.

Harry_the_Spider

predictable 🙄

Wookster

I watched it when it was on the telly and really enjoyed it. Dakar is on the card for me just afetr I get the lotto roll roll roll roll over!!! 😀

Northwind

I was surprised by how good the book was, I expected it to be more, well, Boorman being a c**k, but it doesn't really work out that way. And carrying on like he did after he maimed himself deserves a bit of applause I reckon. It's the first time I've ever really been interested in the Dakar, I think he did a good job.

(I've met him a couple of times through motorbike stuff, my impression is that he's a big insincere w**k. But, that could just be a front 😉 )

Smee
    Free Member

How can the Dakar Rally not even be in Africa now?

monkeychild
    Free Member

It is a jolly good watch.

mickasaki
    Free Member

REally enjoyed it myself! Wish when they put these series on DVD they would take all the leading crap off of each episode though. I must be one of the only people that actually like the fella! But then some of my friends are a bit 'special'!

Dan67
    Free Member

You could say the same with the giro starting in america.
    Is it still not starting in the desert

markenduro
    Free Member

How can the Dakar Rally not even be in Africa now?

Because some of the people who live there believe in fairy tales and want to cut the competitiors heads off on the internet 🙄

singlecrack
    Free Member

I have met him a couple of times at the same enduro's I rode at.
    Nice bloke happy to chat to anyone.

PJ266
    Free Member

I really enjoyed the book, will have to get the DVDs. I like him 😀 Dont think he comes across as a cock at all.

genesis
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it, if money was no object (and I could talk the wife round) I'd enter Dakar. Not on a motorbike more likely a Bowler or buy a drive with a team like BMW of VW.

Trimix
    Free Member

I did ride my XR4 in southern Morocco, spent a month there and crossed the Erg Chebbi, Atlas and Rif – fantastic adventure. Ive looked into doing the Dakar and you will need about 50k and more fitness than you can imagine.

wheelz
    Free Member

I thought the book was pretty good. Met him a few times through motorcycle racing and I have to say, he does come across as a bit of a cock. Can't fault him for trying the Dakar though…

trail_rat
    Free Member

have to say i really enjoyed the book – i also enjoyed by any means ….

i have tried to read long way round and just hate it – its ewan macgreggors writing that is just poor and cockish imho..

epicyclo

I have my doubts about him.

I recently picked up his book describing his trip from Sydney to Tokyo and he describes riding through a crocodile infested swamp in North Queensland with a few mentions of the difficult terrain.

It sounded pretty good until I realised he was describing 30kms of track that I rode through with my brother about 3 months ago on my single speed bike. I've also ridden it on a trailbike, and it's just a routine Oz bush track with a couple of fords. The bullet-ridden dead cars shown in the photos are also commonplace.

Still he makes it sound good, but now I wonder about all the other "adventures" he describes.

Edit: just had a thought – maybe he believes that and was fed a bucket of BS by his Oz mates – actually probably more likely, come to think about it. I'll buy the book now 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

With singlecrack on this – my wife booked him to after- dinner speak and says he was a really nice bloke. I also enjoyed Dakar 🙂

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I have not seen any of this guys series, did read one of the books related to it, which I presume was ghost written rather than produced by him and Ewan McGregor. Then some time after I went to a lecture given by Boorman on his own. I had low expectations as I thought it would be a bit dull. It was actually great! Very very funny and amusing. He had the audience in fits. Would well recommend seeing him 'live' if you get the chance. Came across as a nice ordinary guy.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Charley Boorman's Race to Dakar’ is closed to new replies.