Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Charles Tyrwhitt Shirts. Any good?
  • burko73

Sales magazine thing through my door today. £60 shirts are £20 lots of styles, fits, shorten sleeves for £8 as well.

Look like nice shirts but like everything it sounds too good to be true.

Anyone use them and are they any good? Is the sale reliable or will it be duff knock off stuff?

petec
    Free Member

I have (and have had) many.

They’re pretty good. Better than lewins but not the best obv. I know what fits well, so generally buy five/ten a year. Always in a deal. Rarely buy cufflinks ones, and they have a better selection of buttoned cuffs than others.

They don’t half bombard you with offers though. Never pay full price!

kilo

I use them for work, they’re good value and seem to hold up well

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hebdencyclist
    Free Member

They are good quality cotton shirts.

The problem is that you have to buy 4 or 5 shirts to get the discount, and you sometimes end up getting a colour/pattern that you don’t really like in order to make up the numbers.

But if you can avoid that trap you’re good.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Used to be good, stopped getting them about 4 years ago.

Material quality varied massively, some just instantly creased after ironing.

Prob worth about £15 per shirt

I’ve gone back to Next /M&S which IMO are better quality for same money

SaxonRider

I haven’t worn any, but my son does, and he speaks very highly of them.

bails

I use them for work, they’re good value and seem to hold up well

Same here. Get them at £100 for 4 usually. The extra slim ones fit me well (I’m tall and slim so need long arms without looking like I’m wearing a parachute).

The non-iron ones do need ironing but they stay pretty crease free through the day.

frankconway

Duchamp Outlet online – way better quality than tyrwhitt and lewin; occasionally in TK Maxx.
    IMO lewin better than tyrwhitt.
    Also consider Thomas Pink.
    Bernard Weatherill available in TK Maxx – good vfm.
    Double cuff for formal and work if you want to impress.
    Button cuff for casual.
    Duchamp for cufflinks, ties and pochettes.

Don’t get me started on shoes……………….

finbar
    Free Member

They’re shirts of average quality. If you like the styles, fill yer boots, but don’t be fooled into thinking they are anything special.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Decent polo shirts, average shirts.

Lewin are still good, well made shirts. Pink are overpriced rubbish and have been for years.

FWIW, my shirts are from Roderick Charles.

hooli

My work shirts normally come from them. Good price and good fit.

kilo

Double cuff for formal and work if you want to impress

I find single cuff seems to work fine at work, God knows what sort of arsehat is going to be impressed by a bloke’s shirt cuff format 😉

burko73

I usually buy Boden architect shirts for work when they’re on sale. We’re not super smart in our place but they work with jeans, cords or chinos.

Could do with a few smarter shirts that could work casual or with a suit. Thought I might try them. Was attracted to the arm shortening service as well as I’m a shortarse.

Haven’t studied the catalogue but some of you are insinuating there’s a minimum purchase. I’ll check it out.

Cougar

Their shirts are great. But, a) they use Yodel for delivery (and wouldn’t give me an option of anything else even when I offered to pay extra for delivery) and b) will send you catalogues until the heat death of the universe.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

, God knows what sort of arsehat is going to be impressed by a bloke’s shirt cuff format

A colleague recently made a comment about my business card. I killed him. Before he killed me, obviously.

jimdubleyou

Not bad quality, fit (me) well. Of the high street “shirtmakers” they are my go to guys.

I don’t buy Pink because they are too expensive.
    I don’t buy Lewin’s because their cut looks rubbish on me.
    I don’t buy Hawes and Curtis because the quality is rubbish.

drlex
    Free Member

OP; which catalog? I received one this morning – 3 for £55 was the offer. Not tempted, as still wearing a couple at £8 per, thanks to a PSA here a while back.

CFH – what stock? Embossed as well? I bet it was Paul Allen.

Superficial
    Free Member

I really like the Lewin’s shirts I’ve got, the fit suits me well IMO
    Tyrwhitt ones are fine too but the spam mail is irritating
    Hawes and Curtis seem like a step down

NB I haven’t bought any shirts for a couple of years – I’m sure things change.

I’m not sure whether I get Flashy’s post entirely, but here’s some Bateman, which is always worth watching again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cISYzA36-ZY

just5minutes
    Free Member

Great shirts and they last really well – I get mine cleaned at the laundrette and have only just thrown out my “favourite” shirt that must have been worn / washed close to 100 times – maybe they last longer when they get washed in a bigger drum.

As well as the offers you can normally get 10% cash back via top cashback.co.uk which brings the price down to £22.50 a shirt.

Agree with the delivery though – Hermes can be a bit hit and miss but I’ve never had an order lost even when they’ve been left by the front door. Don’t know why they don’t offer an option to pay for DPD delivery or similar though.

mefty
    Free Member

Embossed as well?

Embossed? Good grief

batfink
    Free Member

Anyone tried their non-iron shirts?

I have always avoided these like the plague, but have just ordered some from Lewin which I’m really impressed with (they are genuinely non-iron) – but was wondering if the CT ones were any good, as they tend to have better offers.

ransos
    Free Member

Lewin shirts are a pain to iron and wear out quickly. Back to M&S for me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Had Lewins shirts originally. Lovely fabric but got to look shabby, and they only did non-iron in shit colours and double cuff.

Tyrwhitt have far more styles but importantly for me they have different fabric types which I’m really into. Loads of choice in non-iron, in fact loads of choice in general. Far far happier in my work duds now I have a good selection of these and also some M&S modern style chinos.

Top tip – once you know your size, buy them on clearance from Amazon. You don’t have to buy 5 to get a good price then.

frankconway

@flashy: roderick charles is new name to me so looked at website – nothing special.
    Disagree about Pink.
    My go-to is always Crombie but their move to online with only one store in UK makes it difficult for most to see and touch real quality but they do sell in Harrods if you’re interested.
    They’re based in Leeds as am I and I know some of their team so…..happy days for me 😆
    Not averse to Tom Ford and Marc Jacobs but coats only from both – one of each.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Shirts aren’t bad but won’t win any style awards – a bit boring.
    Don’t buy their ties though – the one and only one I had was made of carpet felt!

mefty
    Free Member

My go-to is always Crombie but their move to online with only one store in UK makes it difficult for most to see and touch real quality

Why would one purchase a shirt from a coatmaker?

He is absolutely correct about Pink – awful shirts.

njee20
    Free Member

Roderick Charles are permanently having closing down sales, which annoys me! I like Tyrwhitt shirts. To compare them to Next is madness IMO, worlds apart. Personally find the fit far better than Lewins or M&S. I was actually told by a salesperson at the latter that they didn’t make shirts “for people like me”, i.e. not fat. Personal though. Don’t pay more than £25, the offers can be annoying, but are often worth having – £10 off with no minimum purchase.

Nice ties too, simple. Got a nice emerald green one which was a colour I struggled to find elsewhere.

Edit: no, it’s Leonard Jay who are always closing down, not Roderick Charles. Brain failing me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone tried their non-iron shirts?

Yep, I only buy them, except the nice blue one that I didn’t spot wasn’t non-iron. First shirt I’ve ironed in 5 years, forgot what a pita it is.

They look slightly creased when you put them on but it all drops out in ten minutes.

Northwind

They’re alright but no more. I’m a pleb, but I keep coming back to Debenhams shirts- they’re well made, good materials, last forever… You’re not going to impress anyone with the label, and that’s fine, because anyone you can impress with your shirt brand is a dingbat.

frankconway

mefty – can I suggest you understand the 4 F’s before posting; First Find the Fu****g Facts.
    Crombie supply the full range of menswear – including shirts – and have done for many years.
    You do understand that there is a company called Crombie whose name is often used to describe a generic style of topcoat?
    Nothing wrong with Pink shirts; the problem is with you.
    A shirt should be judged by it’s handle (go look it up as I doubt you know what it means), how it holds it’s shape and how quickly the collar points and cuffs fray; Pink shirts perform well against all of these criteria.
    i wear a shirt about 20 times and then it goes to charity; let me know if you want some cast-offs.

mefty
    Free Member

You do understand that there is a company called Crombie whose name is often used to describe a generic style of topcoat?

I do, they made my father’s coats, which is what they made their name doing once they branched out of making cloth. I am a great believer in horses for courses, if I want a shirt I go someone who made their reputation as shirtmaker. My daily ones used to come from Hilditch & Key, but now I reserve these for special occasions as Lewins provide decent quality for everyday wear but a much reduced price. The Pink ones sadly did not – they frayed very rapidly at the collar and cuffs so failed your test – but this is hardly a surprise, they are johnny come latelies, like Charles Tywhit. Give Nick Wheeler his due, he still runs and owns Charles Tywhitt and is still completely obsessed with his business, whereas the Mullen brothers sold out a few years ago.

However, assuming you only wear a shirt only 20 times, you obviously don’t have a perspective on a shirt’s longevity and therefore its quality.

burko73

This has turned into “mines bigger than yours thread” apologies for starting it. I only wanted a bit of info on people’s experience of shirts!

All this ” I only wear my silk pants twice and then burn them in front of homeless people” stuff is a bit much….

Thanks for the helpful comments. Apologies for the less helpful arguments.

🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pants?

😉

Kryton57

To compare them to Next is madness IMO, worlds apart. Personally find the fit far better than Lewins or M&S. I was actually told by a salesperson at the latter that they didn’t make shirts “for people like me”, i.e. not fat. Personal though. Don’t pay more than £25, the offers can be annoying, but are often worth having – £10 off with no minimum purchase.

Exactly this, with the exception I’ve never paid more than £19.50 for a slim fit non iron double cuff shirt, just keep a look out, I? Usually get a new one once a month. They last, fold, and pack well and are of decent quality.

newrobdob
    Free Member

i wear a shirt about 20 times and then it goes to charity; let me know if you want some cast-offs.

Surely a joke?

Why would you only wear a shirt 20 times then get rid? Even if its still perfectly ok? Please don’t say you are so vain that you couldn’t wear one longer for some unfathomable reason… 😥

cp

Charles Tyrwhitt much better quality than a couple of recent M & S shirts of similar value for me.

Nicely made, nice fabric. The cut is generous, I’m slim build but I have to go with their super slim fit as even slim fit is too baggy. Nice you can get the sleeves in different lengths – so I can get a good fit being short bodied but long lanky arms.

they’ll refund/exchange even if you’ve worn the shirt if you’re not happy.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I’ve been a faithful user of M & S shirts, the non iron variety and they hold up well enough for me, the collars go after a couple of years but hey, I only have 5 so they all get worn once a week.

My wife bought me a non iron Charles Tyrwhitt shirt as she spotted a deal. Honestly, I don’t like it. I find it very sweaty, the pits stink pretty quickly which I don’t get with M&S. The fit is not as good as M&S either.

lunge

My go to work shirts, I don’t think I’ve worn another brand for years.

They fit me well, I’m tall, long arms and reasonably slim, most high street shirts either have very short arms or very wide bodies and so look terrible.

The quality is pretty good, I’d say they’re as good if not better than the premium high street stuff, and they last well enough.

Pick them up when they’re 4 for £100 and you’ll be fine.

stumpy01

Bucking the trend somewhat and probably outing myself as not exactly knowledgeable when it comes to formal attire – I was trying to find a half decent shirt to wear with a suit at a mates wedding last year.

Tried various places in the high street and couldn’t find anything that fitted very well or suited my middle ground criteria of ‘not cheap, but no way am I paying £50 for a shirt, I’ll likely wear once a year’.

Looked online at some of the names mentioned above & found for one shirt they weren’t that cheap, plus I wasn’t exactly sure of my size, so didn’t want the faff of having to return it.

Ended up desperately venturing into Next – I’ve got various work shirts from Next, but wanted something a bit, erm, posher?
    The bloke in there was very helpful, suggested some options & they had plenty of shirts that I could try on for fit. I ended up getting a really nice quality shirt for around £30 that fitted me really well & seems very well made. God knows how durable it will turn out to be, but that’s not really a concern for me.
    I think it was one of these:

http://www.next.co.uk/g502354s27#864241

cat69uk
    Free Member

All my work shirts are from them, I have monkey arms, so the slim fit 37″ arm length are perfect. Any shirt from the usual high street are too short in the arm.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Charles Tyrwhitt Shirts. Any good?’ is closed to new replies.