Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Charles Tyrwhitt non iron shirts – should I?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Realised yesterday that I needed to replace a couple of work shirts, and today got a brochure through the post for Charles Tyrwhitt shirts down from £80 to £19.95 each. Never tried them before, but at that price I’m tempted. Never paid more than that for work shirts and don’t intend to.

What alternatives are there at that price? (Think smart/casual civil service office wear with one day a week visiting anything from hi-tec design studios to scrap metal dealers)

Convince me one way or the other, oh smartly dressed forumites.

davosaurusrex

Following. Need some cheap non iron shirts myself

Cougar

Well, I rate them. Got married in one.

robowns
    Free Member

I am a religious believer of Charles Tyrwhitt non-irons – won’t buy anything else. Great quality, easy iron, metal collar straightener things, you name it.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

They’re absolutely fine, just don’t kid yourself that they’re £80 shirts.

Cougar

Also – YGM.

davosaurusrex

Sounds good. Care to share the love MoreCash?

robowns
    Free Member

They’re absolutely fine, just don’t kid yourself that they’re £80 shirts.

Great shirts but agreed, they’re £35 daily in the shop or 5 for £100.

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks Cougar – first time the mods have contacted me…… 8)

Davosaurusrex – just a catalogue that came through the post – cost them more in postage over the years than even this order will come to!

jimdubleyou

Is any work shirt worth £80?

That said, all my work shirts are CT – pink are too expensive, Lewins like tents and H&C just don’t feel as nice.

davosaurusrex

Which catalogue? I don’t seem to get them, not that that’s a bad thing

lunge

They are my go to shirts and like Cougar, I also got married in one. I’m unconvinced non-iron is true, it’s more minimal ironing and it’ll keep the creases out all day. I like them a lot.

MoreCashThanDash

davosaurusrex – just an “introductory offer” on one of their regular mailshots. They’ve done the “5 for £100” that they do in the shops before, but I don’t need 5 and don’t live near a shop.

davosaurusrex

I’m only after a couple too. Is there a universal promo code on it by any chance? No worries if it’s a one shot deal

Cougar

Which catalogue? I don’t seem to get them, not that that’s a bad thing

Buy something from them, I get one approximately every 15 minutes.

scc999

I’ve recently got 4, happy with them for £25 each so at that price I wouldn’t hesitate.

Si

Cougar

I’m only after a couple too. Is there a universal promo code on it by any chance?

As I said to the OP – there are always deals on CT shirts. Google about.

davosaurusrex

Obviously I’m rubbish at Google cos I can only see 4 for 100, 2 for 40 sounds better to me!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

They are good for the money. As said above sign up for the daily catalogue it’s always got vouchers in it.

Cougar

A quick Google gives “SHARE10” – 10% off.

brakes
    Free Member

they’re good – I’ve worn them for a few years now – been through about 20 shirts.
    they can vary by material type in terms of how they feel, how they shrink (not excessively but appreciably) and how long they last.

hugo
    Free Member

Their non-iron shirts are fantastic. I also got married in one!

Non iron has an understandably bad rap from previous plasticy materials, but the new weaves are excellent.

Hang them up on a hanger straight out of the washing machine and bob’s your uncle. What’s even better is that they are resistant to creasing during wear as well so look good all day.

Not tried the in between iron resistant ones, just the full non-iron ones.

With all the options you can really get them to fit well and spec exactly what you want, eg, eg 17 inch collar, extra slim, 35 inch sleeves, spread collar, button cuff.

Also an interesting alternative is Mizzen & Main.

Made from a technical material rather than cotton so are breathable and wicking, feel like you’re wearing a sports t-shirt with a bit of give, but still look the part. Also the cut is great if you’re more of an athletic build. Pricey, but worth it in the heat or if travelling.

stevious

I have 3 non-ron ones and they all still need a run over with an iron after each wash. They are easier to iron though and stay looking good all day.

Be careful if you’re slim though – I have their ultra slim fit ones and they’re still the baggiest shirts I own.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not an £80 shirt, but it’s good for £20.

The non-iron thing IS true. They look a bit wrinkled when you hang them out to dry, but the important thing is that when you put them on, the creases disappear, they don’t look un-ironed. If you need to look fabulous, it’s not useful, but if you simply hate ironing then they are essential. You don’t need to iron them.

I’ve not lifted an iron in 4 years since I bought my first non-iron shirt. Incidentally, the Lewins ones are vastly better quality, at least in terms of material. However this makes them warmer cos they are a thick twill, whereas my Lewins ones are just thin like normal shirts.

hugo
    Free Member

You don’t need to iron them.

Totally true. Hang them when they’re drying, and once they’re on your back they’re perfect.

muckytee
    Free Member

I went for the interview for my current job in one. I’ve had my white non-iron one over a year, had stains in it, worn it at weekends and alsorts, it still looks brand new. The non-iron thing is what others have said, if you hang it up straight out of the washing machine it works a treat, the odd crease here and there can be easily ironed out and the shirt stays that way.

I also wore a black one when I worked in a cafe for a year, it got washed twice a week still looks good after all the icecream, cake and coffee stains.

I find lewin shirts baggy, CT ultra slim works for me.

Cougar

That’s a good point actually. As a bull necked skinny wretch, the ultra slim are the first shirts I’ve ever owned that don’t look like marquee surplus.

Kryton57

CT Slim fit non iron here, I buy them at the sale prices and at that they are very good.

simon_g

Love them. Never paid more than 4 for £100 though. 1000rpm in the washing machine then onto a hanger and they look fine (as long as they’re patterned, the plain ones might need some attention with an iron). They even survive being rolled and carried in a bag on a commute nicely.

I’ve finally worn out one of the first I bought – tore near the elbow when I put it on. As I’m a desk jockey that’s where they wear most. Must be 8 years or so old, worn at least once a fortnight on average since.

hammerite
    Free Member

Fan here too. I never risk the not ironing thing and always iron. However, when I go to the wardrobe to choose a shirt I always go for them because they iron so easily and always look decent. I have lots of other shirts that look like dishcloths before ironing and only look marginally better after ironing.

Stoner
    Free Member

Theyre the only shirt I wear.

I hate oxfords and double cuffs.

CT non-irons. On hangers in the wardrobe, any wrinkles are gone after 20mins of wearing. They are light and airy – I wear mine while cycling, sedately, around London town.

And button down collar keeps things from getting wayward. But then I never wear a tie unless my colleague insists on Lunch at HIS club (the Caledonian, bunch of pompous bolleuax) whereas at my club they let you in looking like you’ve been dragged in from the shires by a horse and cart. Which is v often the case.

ANd now, I have been struck off CFH’s xmas card list.

molgrips
    Free Member

Other nice thing about CT is that you can get lots of combinations of slimness, collar size AND arm length. Get them to measure you in a shop then order online.

djglover
    Free Member

They are superb. If you dry them on a hanger somewhere warm they look ironed IMHO

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Charles Tyrwhitt non iron shirts – should I?’ is closed to new replies.