Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Charles Kennedy dead at 55 :-(
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

I see Alex Salmond can’t stay out of the limelight, has reportedly said “Kennedy’s heart wasn’t in the better together campaign”. Very classy just a few hours after the mans death trying to score some political points.

richmtb

I see Alex Salmond can’t stay out of the limelight, has reportedly said “Kennedy’s heart wasn’t in the better together campaign”. Very classy just a few hours after the mans death trying to score some political points.

No opportunity goes unmissed eh to have a dig

He also tweeted this:

@AlexSalmond 2 hours ago

Charles Kennedy was by far the most generous person I have ever met in politics. Sad loss of a great politician and, above all, a great man.

https://twitter.com/AlexSalmond/status/605664763306209281https://twitter.com/AlexSalmond/status/605664763306209281

jambalaya
    Free Member

@rich, the article popped up in the middle of the Guardian feed I was reading. The gulf in class and integrity between Kennedy and Salmond couldn’t have been better demonstrated.

aracer
    Free Member

Indeed, AS just can’t resist

gordimhor

Jesus it’s time for the mods to close this thread now

bigjim

wow the salmond thing is going nuts online. Seems to have worked from his point of view anyway in terms of getting a vast amount of attention, does seem in poor taste though. Poor old Chazza.

athgray
    Free Member

I was saddened to hear this news this morning. I always thought he came across as a decent guy.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Very, very sad indeed. Principled politician and a decent kind man.

epicyclo

He was a decent man who used to stand up for what was right.

But it didn’t go unoticed that
    he voted to block the opening of the Official Secrets Act, thus effectively protecting child molesters.

In the end it was obvious he was more or less toeing a party line and had lost his independent streak.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Crumbs you english london folk and your loathing of AS

The gulf in class and integrity between Kennedy and Salmond couldn’t have been better demonstrated

Yes till you read that you were sort of fence sitting about what you thought about him 😕
    Its not exactly the worst thing you will read on the internet about his death.

Campbell article also in the Guardian…..excellent eulogy IMHO

binners

A good piece on him in today’s Guardian by Alastair Campbell – who was obviously a very good friend of his

kcal

Read his piece yesterday binners – he writes well; unlikely chums in many ways you’d have though eh? Can’t get my head around Campbell at all – so much to dislike him for, and yet, and yet.

binners

I know what you mean. I should dislike him immensely for numerous reasons, but…. He’s been very honest about his own alcoholism and depression, and I do like his blunt Malcolm Tuckerishness!

I do find it odd that the man behind the dodgy dossier and one of the most vocal opponents of the war on Iraq would then go on holiday together. But in a lot of ways, that’s quite admirable, and a testament to their freindship

kcal

also in Guardian (c) Steve Bell –

epicyclo

Deleted: see below

duckman

jambalaya -oneyedSNPhater

I wonder how the subject of Kennedy’s views came up…maybe he was asked? Oh,whats that;he was?

Coming soon to this thread,SNP killed Charles Kennedy (c) the spectator

bigjim

jesus epicyclo can’t you just leave it? the guy’s died young leaving a young son without a dad, stop using it as a platform for all this unconcious sheep anti-english crap. There are plenty of other threads on here for all that chat.

binners

Nice touch by Steve Bell, that.

epicyclo

bigjim – Member
    jesus epicyclo can’t you just leave it? the guy’s died young leaving a young son without a dad, stop using it as a platform for all this unconcious sheep anti-english crap.

You’re right. Sorry.

(I wasn’t having an anti English rant, just making the point that the press in Scotland is generally owned by English interests, ie not predisposed to Scottish interests.)

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have both eyes open when it comes to the SNP. I was only commenting on what appeared in that bastion of English right wing journalism, the Guardian.

The Steve Bell cartoon is a nice touch, saw that this morning.

duckman

I have both eyes open when it comes to the SNP

Of course you do,and your even handedness in commeting on anything to do with them is measured and balanced. See carmichael tread for an example.

aracer
    Free Member

Its not exactly the worst thing you will read on the internet about his death.

AS’s comments aren’t at all rude about CK (or at least I don’t interpret them that way), the issue is with him using the opportunity to make a political point.

I’ll say no more on this – I made my feelings about CK clear in my first post on this thread, and it doesn’t need any more derailing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

by the usual suspects who are like a stuck record turning every political thread into a debate about AS and defending it as true and not biased 🙄

jambalaya
    Free Member

I didn’t turn it into a debate, I just referenced a Guardian article. I thought you ignored all my posts anyway 8)

konabunny
    Free Member

(I wasn’t having an anti English rant, just making the point that the press in Scotland is generally owned by English interests, ie not predisposed to Scottish interests.)

I think, in fact, that is the (beginning of) an anti-English rant – claiming that English interests are both foreign and different to Scottish ones.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you look at how the two places voted in the last general election its not unreasonable to suggest the people have different goals from their government and that their interests are different.

As for foreign it is and it is not another country depending on the issue – defence V law for example. Education v Foreign policy

One of those when you are a nation within a Union.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Very good point made by Ian Hislop, according to the Independent he came out with the observation that Charles Kennedy had better judgement drunk than many politicians do sober.

nemesis
    Free Member

From Campbell’s eulogy

Charles knew that it was possible to disagree with people without constantly feeling the need to condemn them as lacking in integrity or values

Something that explains how they were able to be friends and also something for several people to consider…

Rockape63
    Free Member

Charles knew that it was possible to disagree with people without constantly feeling the need to condemn them as lacking in integrity or values

He obviously didn’t post on STW then! 😕

nemesis
    Free Member

Quite…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Rockape, indeed.

Quoting myself, today’s gem below.

The gulf in class and integrity between Kennedy and Salmond couldn’t have been better demonstrated

“Behave yourself, woman” Classy ? Enlightened ?

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Charles Kennedy dead at 55 :-(’ is closed to new replies.