Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Charities which reUSE clothes
  • nbt

Mum recently died from cancer, so we’re in the process of sorting things out. While I know we can take her clothes to almost ANY charity, in the main this means they’ll either be sold in the charities’ own shops, or sold on to bulk clothes handlers.

Dad suggested we might look for a charity which would distribute clothes to people who need them – perhaps homeless people, or those who’ve not got their belongings for some reason. This way we hopefully know that people are getting direct benefit from her clothes – although if we do give them to charity, then of course benefit will ensue that way too

I’m not sure such a charity exists, but I’m fairly sure that if it does, STW will come up trumps and help us find it.

tomhoward

Take them direct to a shelter?

aP
    Free Member

Speak to your local church or Sally Army Captain.
    Last Wednesday evening I took round two large bags containing jeans, t-shirts, jumpers, tops etc to my local church hall where they were putting up 16 homeless lads for the night.

frankconway

There are homeless support organisations in most cities and they all welcome clothing donations.
    Some are part of larger national organisations; others are locally focussed.

CraigW
    Free Member

Or look for a local refugee support charity. They are collecting clothing, and taking it to people who need it.
    eg https://thehighlandssupportrefugees.com/

cinnamon_girl

The last time I went to my local tip to dispose of old duvets, tatty clothing etc., there was a female in the container sorting it out. There was no mention of anything going to charity so can only assume it was to sell. I should really have asked.

Shall investigate homeless support organisations, not convinced that these doorstep charity bags are going to where they should. I did notice them being picked up in a transit van by rather dodgy looking men.

frankconway

CG – doorstep charity bags go straight into the bin.

cinnamon_girl

What bin frank?

Edit: sorry, do you mean your bin at home?

136stu
    Free Member

Judging by the quantity of used “vintage” clothing on ebay, I suspect only the real tat gets where it was intended (see old Liverpool and Chelsea jerseys on 3rd world children).

Esme
    Free Member

This charity might be of interest:
    Smalls for All collect “gently worn” bras (and brand new pants). They help people in developing economies like Africa to earn an income by selling the bras.

frankconway

CG – yes, i put doorstep charity bags straight into my bin.

maccruiskeen

Aside from clothes there are some other routes to use for deceased people’s belongings. Shoes and glasses are pretty sought after in developing countries, war zones etc. Check with charities that send bikes etc abroad they often have other useful materials they gather to go in the containers.

Particualrly where long illnesses are concerned theres often quite a large cache of prescription medicines that have accumulated. These can’t be returned (even if unopened) to be re-prescribed in the UK but if you check with your local pharmacy theres often charities that collect un-used medicine (but not painkillers) and export them to aid agencies etc abroad. Thers should be a pharmacy acting as a collection point near you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Charities which reUSE clothes’ is closed to new replies.