Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Charging phones while camping
  • allthegear
    Free Member
    soma_rich
    Free Member

Wont have access to a Skoda or any other car.

Junkyard
    Free Member

wind up will always work solar will obviously take time
    Free loader and
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uniross-U0184700-Wind-Charger/dp/B001E9QYZ6

wwaswas

what phone is it?

If you have access to the batteries then it’s often easiest to just buy a few spares to take with you.

You can get ‘piggy back’ batteries that’ll charge iphones etc as well rather than trying to rely on sunshine or windy uppy things.

5thElefant
    Free Member

A battery is the easiest solution. You can get li-ion packs with a USB-out which will run your phone for more than a week.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Its a Motorola Defy so loads of batteries available. I wonder if I could rig the wind turbine to my bike 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thats pretty good to be able to be on call but not need to go any where if called out !

giantonagiant

I have used a Powermonkey Explorer on my travels for the last 2 or 3 years and has been good. If you fancy one, try their own website and at checkout use the code TROOPS, you should dong it drops the price from about 65 quid to 35 quid.
    Bargain. Loads of adapters for all sorts of things, plus a good storage capacity in internal battery.

But agree with Junkyard about windup vs solar (in the UK!).

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

If you’re on call but with camping with no car you must be reasonably close to civilisation? use a pub 😛

I would suggest a combination of spare batteries and a wind up charger might be the best bet though.

soma_rich
    Free Member

When I do get called I can usually solve the problem over the phone, so dont need the car. I dont think the campsite is near a pub. So just need another way to charge the phone.

I will get some spare batteries and a windup radio thing.

wwaswas

he need go nowhere if he gets a call;

everything is to hand

ocelotspleen
    Free Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Trent-IMP1000-11000mAh-Blackberry/dp/B004CHMP50

Bought one of these for use with my Samsung galaxy s. Can recharge the phone about 6 times before the capacity runs out!

peterfile
    Free Member

I use one of these for long trips away:

Proporta Turbocharger 5000

It charges every kind of portable device you could own, charges itself up from AC or laptop and can charge your gadgets lots of times inbetween recharging it.

Such a cliche, but I don’t leave home without it anymore (well, if I’m away for more than a day anyway!).

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Rich – I have a wind turbine one you can borrow in the garage I think. Designed to mount on a bike.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I have one of these. It needs FULL BLISTERING sun for 8 hours plus to get any useful charge out of it whatsoever. I’ve often ended up just charging it off USB at the office and using it as a one-shot top up.

bazzer
    Free Member

If you have some batteries for night riding, buy a car charger and bodge it on to your light battery.

Thats what I am doing for using the GPS on my phone for road rides.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a power monkey which I keep with me in my commute bag at all times. Its very adaptable system, you can:

charge the power monkey from USB, or from a three pin with USB output, or the solar panel.
    Charge the device from the power monkey or the three pin. Since multiple types of devices need only have the powertip changed you can support a lot more stuff with simple selection of power bits.

I also have a power chimp as another back up because that works on AA (or AAA with sleeves that come included) batteries. It gets a bit warm because of the simple electronics to get to 5v but its reliable and easy to use and to get AA batteries is generally quite easy.

7 dayshop are doing the chimp for £20 although I got mine for a bout £15 in one of their recent sales.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_12&products_id=109355

kevin1911

I’ve just gone for one of the powermonkey Explorers. Thanks GiantonaGiant

stumpy01

Perhaps?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

That’s obviously the gold standard stumpy – but make sure you ahbve your flux capacitor the right way round.

fbk
    Free Member

I’m tempted by the Powermonkey with the code but…..is it just me? That brings up the “troops in afganistan” discount 😯

Waderider
    Free Member

It seems like you guys are overcomplicating things. When on bike tour and stopping for shopping etc. the first thing I do is politely ask if they mind charging my phone. The charger plugs into wall sockets, which is dead handy, and weighs very little. I’ve spent weeks camping wild and bothying keeping my appliances topped up like this.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I use one of these http://www.portablepowersupplies.co.uk/portapowPremium.htm

And also got the solar monkey thingy as well

ourkidsam
    Free Member

1 minute winding gives 3 minute talk time or 20 minutes standby time

You’ll be doing a lot of winding!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Charging phones while camping’ is closed to new replies.