Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Charging lights from a 12v Source – ie Car battery?
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

How would a chap going about this? Would he need specific chargers for each light and be reliant on the manufacturer making one? Would he be able to do it with an inverter?

How long is it likely to take to charge compared with mains electricity?

Cheers

nickjb
    Free Member

Some battery chargers, like some from DX or 7dayshop will charge straight from a car battery, that’s the easiest. You could use an inverter and use a mains charger, they are pretty cheap from ebay. Charge time should be the same.

khani
    Free Member

If you can get a USB charge lead you can buy a car charger with a USB plug in it, no idea how long it would take though,
    I got a USB car charger for a tenner from curries, works for my iPhone ok

phiiiiil

Be careful if you use an inverter, they are terribly inefficient; I charged my lumicycle battery a couple of times during a Mountain Mayhem a few years back, but come Sunday afternoon found myself with a car that wouldn’t start…

Northwind

My DX charger for 18650s runs off an old Nokia charger, so would presumably charge off a nokia car charger.

smudge
    Free Member

Depends on the battery not the light ie Li-Ion or NiMH and also the Voltage/Capacity of the battery.

How long it takes depends on what the charge rate is of the in-car charger.

What batteries are you using Paul? I would think it best just to buy a ‘off the shelf’ charger for peace of mind.

peachos
    Free Member

I’m using one of your DX batteries Smudge and a Hope 4 cell and a 2 cell batteries at the moment.

Could I just connect the cable to the car battery, or is there more to it than that?

I did think about an inverter, but was aware that they’re quite inefficient.

(housemate’s laptop)

nickjb
    Free Member

I bought a couple of 12v specific chargers. I have a 18650 charger from DX that runs on 5v, 12v and 240v a similar one for AAs and a 12v to 18v/19v than runs the laptop. Much more efficient than an inverter.

smudge
    Free Member

Peachos, just so people dont get confused, my batteries aren’t DX batteries but compatible batteries assembled by me not DX.

Like Nick says you need a specific 12V DC charger for your battery/ batteries.

For the money I would suggest it would be easier just to buy the appropiatte in car charger from Hope / Lumicycle / DX

I did look at supplying these but the MOQ is too high to cover the range and also after feedback the actual interest was very low.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Charging lights from a 12v Source – ie Car battery?’ is closed to new replies.