Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Charging devices on multi-day trip
  • krixmeister

Have a couple of upcoming bike-packing trips with unreliable access to AC power. Wondering if there is a recommendation for some sort of power bank for charging iPhone (for emergency use) and Garmin (for daily use)?

I bought one of these, thinking the AA batteries would be easy and I could carry some spares, but doesn’t seem to charge an iPhone more than about 5% before shutting off:

Any ideas?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

If the phone is emergency use only, you could just leave it off? That at least reduces the load, then if it works on the Garmin, you are ready to go?

pipiom
    Free Member

I used this for RatRace crossing….worked a treat

jam-bo

I’ve got 12000mAH battery pack from SWEES. It’ll charge my iphone from totally flat a couple of times and has 2 usb outputs. One is 2.1A output and will charge my phone in about 90mims.

Was about £20 from Amazon.

jam-bo

Swees® 12000mAh Ultra Slim Dual USB (2.1A / 1A Output) Brilliant Portable Power Bank External Battery Charger for iPhone iPad Samsung Galaxy Android Phone Smartphone Tablets Pc Bluetooth Speaker – Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LNXG38Q/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Gwabvb12ZR65T

luffy105
    Free Member

It might be overkill but I’ve used this in the past. gorilla The power traveller Powermonkey Extreme 12v

Not the cheapest but very good and sturdy, plus if it’s sunny you can top it up.

bikeneil
    Free Member

wysiwyg
    Free Member

One of the kaidomain battery boxes for lights has usb

Tracker1972
    Free Member

bikeneil, I forget you can navigate with a Garmin, I assumed it was to record the route, cycle computer basically.

BadlyWiredDog

Brunton Metal works well and has a no-questions replacement guarantee thing. Handily lets you know how much charge is left and has built-in USB leads. Not cheap but decent.

I’d avoid anything with a solar charger for the UK – except maybe Goal Zero – mostly they’re far too small to actually do very much in our dull climate.

My experience is that they all break eventually with regular use. The new super rugged PowerMonkey Extreme thing included.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Charging devices on multi-day trip’ is closed to new replies.