Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Charging a car battery
  • tails
    Free Member

Hi I passed my test last wednesday and need to either replace or preferably charge the battery on my Ka.

I have a really old mains charger and have watched a video, all looks simple.

Can I leave it over night or do I need to check the battery every hour?

Can I close the bonnet/leave ajar or does it need to be fully open as the car will be on my drive.

Thanks for any help.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can leave it, esp if outside. With the bonnet ajar.

However if the battery’s run completely flat it’ll be knackered.

Why is it flat? That’s a more pertinent question.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I don’t think you should charge the battery whilst still connected on the car. Can fry the alternator apparently.

A trickle charge of 3-4 amps is fine left overnight, even longer if the battery is the maintenance free type.

Don’t forget that car batteries vent hydrogen whilst charging, mind any sparks or naked lights.

Battery gives off hydrogen gas when charging. Bonnet lid ajar in the driveway should be OK, but remember once a battery starts to lose charge and needs constant attention, it could fail suddenly and leave you stranded.

There will come a point when no amount of charging will help. I once had a battery which was fine one day, but wouldn’t even light the sidelights the next.

cranberry
    Free Member

You really should take it out of the car, and charge it somewhere well ventilated.

Remember to sort out any code for the radio/read the owners manual before disconnecting the battery.

tails
    Free Member

Think I may have to buy a new one then as it’s proper flat no noise what so ever!!

3 to 4 amp trick sounds interesting.

CHB

Its fine to charge in the car, never had any problems with my trickly charger.

I have one of these and its brilliant:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ctek-CTE-XS4003-Multi-Battery-Charger/dp/B003B344NC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304454803&sr=8-1

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

bump / jump start it,then drive it for an hour. may as well check it’s charging properly whilst you are at it

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Charging a car battery’ is closed to new replies.