• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Del.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Charging 18650 batteries with 9V phone charger
  • swoosh
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of 18650 batteries and a Samsung adaptive fast charger. Can I plug this in to my light set to charge the batteries or will I kill the batteries? The charger has a range of 9.0V 1.67A or 5.0V 2.0A if that’s any help.

wzzzz
    Free Member

No no no.

You need a circuit that will stop charging when its full. Your phone has this built in, bare 18650s do not.

You risk fire and death if you do this.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Are these individual cells or a battery pack?

18650s have a nominal voltage (individually) of 3.7V and are usually fully charged at 4.2V. Personally I wouldn’t chance it even with two 18650s in series you will still be putting 4.5V into each cell on full charge.

If it was just a one-off emergency charge then you might get away with it if you had a voltmeter on the cells and stopped charging manually at 4.1V for each cell say. As an ongoing way of charging the cells I would advise getting a proper charger designed for 18650 LiIon cells.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    khani
    Free Member

i4 intellicharger from Maplins, 26 and a bit quid, cheaper than a new house..

Greybeard
    Free Member

will I kill the batteries

.. and what or who else will I kill?

as comments above, plus trying to charge Li-ion batteries in series is risky anyway. They tend to reach max charge at different times, so even in a charger that senses full charge, you may have one overcharged and dangerous.

swoosh
    Free Member

These batteries are in an ituo Wiz 20 light with a micro usb port specially for charging. Nothing in the manual to explain what equipment is needed.

The outside of the batteries says “li-ion rechargeable with intellectual protection circuit 18650 3400mAh 3.7V”

forzafkawi
    Free Member

These batteries are in an ituo Wiz 20 light with a micro usb port specially for charging. Nothing in the manual to explain what equipment is needed.

The outside of the batteries says “li-ion rechargeable with intellectual protection circuit 18650 3400mAh 3.7V”

I’ve got a Wiz 20. You can charge it via any 5V USB source with a micro USB plug on it such as a computer USB port or a dedicated USB charger.

I looked up your Samsung adaptive fast charger and it looks like this should be OK if it’s something like this one:-

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/accessories/power/EP-TA20UWEUGGB/

Hope that helps.

swoosh
    Free Member

I’ve got a Wiz 20. You can charge it via any 5V USB source with a micro USB plug on it such as a computer USB port or a dedicated USB charger.

I looked up your Samsung adaptive fast charger and it looks like this should be OK if it’s something like this one:-

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/accessories/power/EP-TA20UWEUGGB/

Hope that helps.

Yes that’s the charger I’ve got.

Usb port off the computer takes forever to charge these batteries, when you say ‘dedicated usb charger’ do you mean like a phone charger or like a 3pin battery charger?

I’ve got an Xtar MC1 charger for my helmet light so could get an MC2 for these batteries just to make sure they’re safe. Although I use a 5v phone charger to power it.

Or I’ll probably just use the 5v charger in future, rather than the 9v.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

The Xtar MC1/MC2 are just charging cradles which use USB to charge the cells in them. Rated at 0.5A you’ll probably find they are a lot slower to charge the cells than just leaving them in the Wiz 20 and charging using your Samsung charger which is rated at 2A.

I charge my all 18650 cells externally using a Turnigy Accucell charger which is specifically designed for charging LiIon cells.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Just take the batteries out and use a proper 18650 li ion charger.

Will be faster and won’t set fire to your house.

aracer
    Free Member

Computer USB ports tend not to provide much current – yes use a proper phone charger with a micro USB connector (or a USB charger/power supply and a micro USB cable). I thought such chargers and USB 5V power supplies were ubiquitous now – I have loads here with a 1A rating and a couple of 2A ones (computer USB will likely be 0.5A at the most, more likely 0.3A)

Del

no, different USB standards have different charge rates available. the latest allow charging at up to 3A IIRC.
    OP, if your kit has a micro USB in, and you have a wall-wart with micro USB out, go for it, it’ll be fine. despite the shonky language it sounds like your light has the charging circuitry built in.
    worst that will happen is the charger won’t figure out your device can charge at the higher rate so will only provide a lower one. ( quite likely with a samsung part as they’ve been up to all sorts with the USB standard for charging to allow them to use the ID pin to figure out what samsung parts have been connected ).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Charging 18650 batteries with 9V phone charger’ is closed to new replies.