Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Charges importing an item from Canada
  • Si
    Free Member

Looking at getting a couple of items from Canada, even if I can get it marked up as a gift, what charges am I liable to get stung for over here?

Best and worst scenario?? Item value around £350 if all decared

Thanks

travellingman
    Free Member

Well, having just been through all of this with a frame from the states here’s what I know.

Your items are given a commodity code and that dictates the level of customs duty. You can find this on businesslink.gov.uk under ‘international trade’. There’s a number to call in Southend-on-Sea for clarification if required.

For a frame it’s 4.7% of the original purchase price including shipping charges. Once this has been calculated, VAT at 17.5% is added

You’ll only be liable for excise duty if it’s alcohol, tobacco or similar.

Once your package lands it goes through customs and is then picked up by Royal Mail/Parcelforce who pay the duty/tax on your behalf and then request the funds before delivery. This includes a standard handling fee of £8. Once cleared they arrange delivery. It all ran very smoothly apart from the frame being a piece of crap but that’s another story…

It actually worked out cheaper than I expected but you’ve got no control over the figure they come up with as it depends on their exchange rate calculation etc.

Cheers.

bighendo
    Free Member

you`ll pay vat at the current rate and a £20 handling fee

steveh

You may get charged nothing at all, it seems to be a bit of a lottery. Some parcels get charged and others go straight to your door with no charges. If you get them marked up as gift you should have no fees/charges/vat to pay.

Digger90
    Free Member

I bought a used frame from Canada.

Make sure you instruct whoever you buy your stuff from to clearly write “bike parts”, not “bike” on the decsription of the contents in the applicable section of the Customs documents. The rate of Import Duty is approx 4% for parts, but it’s closer to 15% for a bike.

I eventually got a refund, but it was hassle.

Really, there’s no way of avoiding the duties.. there’s Import Duty and VAT to pay.

And the B’stards will calculate the above on TOP of the shipping charges you’ll pay.. ridiculous.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Charges importing an item from Canada’ is closed to new replies.