Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Charge spoon ti rails leather
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Anybody got one? I know its personsl preference etc, but are they any good? Anyone had fizik gobi and gone to one of these?

Any pics of the black one would be appreciated too!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Depends on your bum. I have them on all three of my bikes.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

The ti ones lbs said it would be a bit more forgiving with it being ti…… nice looking and the leather version should last a while, not like my fizik gobi

judderman
    Free Member

had a Fizik Gobi, now have a Spoon Ti, tis gert lush!

Northwind

I find the spoon a wee bit big and the shaping’s slightly OTT for me, I prefer a flatter tail… But it’s a nice bit of kit even so. Can’t see any reason to go with the leather one though, the normal fabric is plenty tough.

BadlyWiredDog

The ti ones lbs said it would be a bit more forgiving with it being ti…… nice looking and the leather version should last a while, not like my fizik gobi

It’s not like the standard Spoon is unforgiving – I’ve used both steel and ti railed ones and, to be honest, the main difference is a relatively small weight saving. Like about 20 grammes going by the description on Wiggle. Unless you’re desperate to save weight – in which case there are lighter options out there – or to spend money, I’d just go for the standard Spoon. Not that there’s anything wrong with the ti Spoon, I just think you’d be hard pushed to detect any difference.

ps: 266g v 283g on my digital balance fwiw

fourbanger
    Free Member

I have a cromo on the MTB and Ti on the road bike and I’d swear the cromo has slightly more padding, although this could be percieved comfort due to the relative setups of each bike. I have an SDG Belair on the tourer as well, which is more comfy for sure, but the Ti Spoon can be had for the same price as the Cromo Belair and the spoon looks like a saddle should in my opinion.
    I’d buy another Ti Spoon if money wasn’t an issue, infact I probably will for the next bike!

BadlyWiredDog

I’d buy another Ti Spoon if money wasn’t an issue, infact I probably will for the next bike!

So, a normal cromo steel Spoon costs 25 quid on Wiggle, a Ti Leather one is £75 and the difference in weight is 17 grammes 😆

Northwind

Oh, I meant to say… The Knife is another option, some people would probably find it a torture device but it’s the perfect shape for me so it’s comfier than the Spoon.

fourbanger
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog, if we all chose are bikes based solely on VFM, everyone would be ridding a Giant. What can I say, I just like leather and Ti rather than nylon and cromo.

globalti
    Free Member

Got a Knife on the roadie…. it’s fab.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cool cheers for the replys, im also digging the leather version mainly for leather not the ti rails, want it to last a few years and i guess leather is alot more hard wearing!

rj
    Free Member

I’ve got the leather version, haven’t found it at all hardwearing. Leather + lots of mud and rain aren’t a great combination unless you’re willing to give it a bit of TLC. It’s now held together with gaffa tape. I previously had the synthetic one and found it a lot more practical.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

really? would have thought the leather was much more hardwearing?

i had a spoon years ago that lasted well, it was only the standard one though, assumed this would be a lot better abit comfier and last longer 🙁

Popocatapetl

I’ve got the TI leather spoon on all three of my bikes. The oldest is 3 years + and still going strong with the occasional polish. Great saddle IMO.

doug_basqueMTB.com

My non-Ti spoon has lasted through a season with no problems, I’ve never had a saddle last more than 6 months before. Great saddle. I’ll buy another one when the time comes and will put them on all my bikes.

I put some pics and a mini review up on my site. Excuse the dodgy barrymore reference. Charge Spoon Review

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Had Ti and Chromo ones, my fave seats. Last for ages and really comfy (but that’s subjective) highly reccomend them.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmmm im considering ditching the leather one, and getting the synthetic ti railed one instead – IN WHITE!

white frame and white saddle!?!?!?!?!

anyone got any real life pics of the white one?

BadlyWiredDog

The white ones are less comfortable, fact… Maybe I’m just imagining it, but I’d say the brown ones are most comfortable, followed by the black, but the white ones feel like they have less padding. I suspect they do it because the light colours are flattered by a thinner layer of foam. They may be very slightly lighter, but I would go for the brown in pure performance terms.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

seriosuly? or am i being ‘had’ ? how can the colour change the comfort factor? i know the white ones often look slimmer/more racey, but shirly not sir when its advertised as the same saddle 🙁

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

and where on earth can you get the ti sythentic ones? wiggle are all out apart from brown, and evans have white, but i dont like using them….any other nice friendly online shops sell the synthetic ti white ones??

bol

I was riding a brown one on a sportive when I lost all feeling in the trouser department (an unpleasant experience which lasted several months). Comfy saddle, but I never ride further than 20 or 30 miles on one now.

BadlyWiredDog

I was riding a brown one on a sportive when I lost all feeling in the trouser department (an unpleasant experience which lasted several months). Comfy saddle, but I never ride further than 20 or 30 miles on one now.

Just out of interest, have you tried the white or black ones? I’ve ridden 60-odd miles on a black one with no issues at all. It might simply be that brown isn’t your colour. What colour eyes do you have?

bol

Blue. I’ve got a black one on my single speed, but don’t do long rides on it, so hard to say. I don’t think my perineum really gets on with them for long. I’ve got a wide arse.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Ti railed Knife,a little less padding than a Spoon, but still dead comfy. Holding up well a year or so down the line too. I’ve also got a horsey brown cr/mo Spoon on another bike, also comfy and durable.
    As a point of ref, I used to ride Flites and love ’em but hate Fizik Gobis!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmm the knife eh? whats the main difference? just less padding? or is that more racey/roady type than the spoon?

ive got a fizik k;ium at the mo, under a year old, stitching coming apart and the rubbed off alot of the nose somehow with shorts 🙁 less than impressive, find it fairly comfy though, but i am not paying that again for it to fall apart that quickly 🙁

Northwind

Oscillate Wildly – Member

hmmm the knife eh? whats the main difference? just less padding? or is that more racey/roady type than the spoon?

It’s a totally different saddle construction wise… But compared with the Soul it’s narrower and has less rise at the tail, it’s not flat but it doens’t have the big scallop of the Spoon. Very little give in the padding, it relies on shape for comfort. I find it a lot comfier than a Spoon but I’m pretty sure if you don’t fit it, it’ll be incredibly awful. And then you can sell it to me 😉 Get a black one, I’m short of black.

Interested to try a Fizik but what I’m hearing about lifespan just puts me right off.

nicko74

I have a Ti-railed pleather Spoon, and found it to be great. IIRC it was about £40 from Wiggle, and I figured for the ‘ti’ label alone it was worth it over the steel version 🙂

I went with pleather as I wasn’t sure whether I’d ruin leather, and there was a cost tradeoff.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Charge spoon ti rails leather’ is closed to new replies.