Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Charge Filter or other steel CX frame
  • drotos
    Free Member

I love steel, so I’d like to build a race-ready steel CX bike. What do You think, is that worth to use steel frame instead of alu? I know, weight a bit more… in the other hand, I like the handling of steel frames better. What’s Your opinion? What frames should I chech? I’d like to use cantilever brakes…

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I guess you could consider the Surly Cross Check. I’ve got one, it handle beautifully and is really comfy. It isn’t the lightest of frames but rides well regardless. Not sure if many people use them for racing on. It is certainly a nice tough frame if longevity is a concern you have.

If you were prepared to consider alu you could look at the Uncle John from Planet X. I’ve just built one up and whilst the ride is a little harsh compared to the Cross Check it still rides well and it does give you the option of fitting disc brakes in the future if you decide to given them a try. The Uncle John is also very cheap compared to the steel frame options that are available.

drotos
    Free Member

And what about Charge Filter? Or Ritchey Swisscross? Or… other race-orianted steel frame?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Sam’s Kite is about near perfect IMHO…

Sweeeeet……

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

The Filter is mega bucks off on Wiggle so it would be silly not to?

Gets good reviews too.

sefton
    Free Member

would comfort come into the equation in a 1 hour all out cx race?

I’d go light and strong – with affordable parts – cx bikes go through hell and wear quickly.

spend on a good wheel set and brakes

MrAgreeable

I like the handling of steel frames better

Ah, so it’s the frame material and not the geometry, stem length or anything else? 😉

I think affordable racey CX frames are thin on the ground, unless you go second hand. Shand Cycles make some really nice-looking ones, or Van Dessel. Or look out for a second-hand Gunnar or Kelly.

yossarian
    Free Member

Soma double cross?
    Traitor bikes do a nice one too

Teetosugars
    Free Member

It’s a shame Fixie Inc went pop… 😐

MrAgreeable

Their CX bikes never had cantis though, did they?

All city Macho Man?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Their CX bikes never had cantis though, did they?

Good point, well presented…

martymac

ive got a charge filter, its good, i like it.
    but its light years away from being a race frame, the fork in particular is really heavy.
    it handles well, is nice and stable, it is comfortable too.
    if i was going to race it, i would want a carbon fork on it, the original is pretty poor tbh.

AlexSimon

Re: Fixie Inc – And the reason they’re not around is because, although pretty to look at, they were really overpriced, very heavy and not very well made imo (based on seeing 3 in shops and seeing build flaws in all of them)

fontmoss
    Free Member

As said the cross check isn’t light but fun and changing the fork dropped a fair amount of weight. I’m not sure if the singular would be much/any lighter?

Paintwork didn’t appreciate the wet garage so had to get it resprayed

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Charge Filter or other steel CX frame’ is closed to new replies.