Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Charge Duster Yay or Nay?
  • mralexbenn
    Free Member

Hi guys

Would like the singletrack world massive's thoughts an the Charge Duster as I have a friend who is thinking of getting one second hand frame only. Would be built up with a triple ring and some 100mm Marzocchis on then upgrade to disc brakes and wheels later on. I ride an 18 inch 456 for general trail riding odd bit around Hebden and he would be doing just the same, so what do you think a good choice?

(oh and not in to bright colours so black, grey or white)

Cheers

ahwiles
    Free Member

it's a lovely bike, a little bit old-school, in all the right ways.

see this:

you couldn't ask for a nicer combo.

imho etc.

shinsplints

I have a Duster 8. Love it. Super springy 😆

_tom_
    Free Member

ahwiles that looks awesome, where is it?

psilocybe
    Free Member

i had an 08 Duster Mid, regretted selling after only 2 months.

sc-xc

Yay. Great bikes for the money.

-Liam-
    Free Member

Same here. Fast single track and its brilliant. Good climber too and not to heavy.

Love it 🙂

shinsplints

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh keep them a secret 😉

-Liam-
    Free Member

lol absolutely 😉

inkster
    Free Member

Charge bit shorter in top tube than on-one I think? Got myself a Genesis io instead of duster ss for this reason, {genesis similar tt length to on-one] so check sizing.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, love mine, always looking for a lighter equivalent but it rides so well I don't see the point.

The top tube is slightly short I think, I've got a layback seatpost and a longish stem (110mm, not the steering horror story people would have you believe) Brilliant bike on fast singletrack, and set up right it really pumps and skims through the trails.

The paintwork is pretty tough as well, and there's some big old tyre clearance at the back.

poppa
    Free Member

Decent quality 'no-nonsense' bikes. More than enough for most people most of the time. Geometry slightly more old-skool than some. Pretty.

shinsplints

Decent quality 'no-nonsense' bikes. More than enough for most people most of the time

Exactly the reason I went for the Duster 8. Less faff all round (once you've got the hang of getting the back wheel out and twiddling the EBB 😆 )

HTTP404
    Free Member

Run mine at 100mm. Tough trail frame. Found the painted decals on the downtube to be fragile. Are they supposed to be lacquered over?
    Yep. Top tube shorter but its a good short giving you more of a sit up and beg position. A bit lighter than other steel frames if you get the posh tubed version. Having said that, probably still be selling mine just for the sake it.

13thfloormonk

Not sure about that HTTP, I've rubbed through the top tube decals nearest the headtube, but thats three years of mud and baggy shorts, so I'll forgive that. The downtube decals would probably look fine if I ever cleaned them up…

The frame could be sit up and beh, but I'm running it quite low at the front which makes for some excitable cornering, but makes the most of the Rebas. Didn't think it was the lightest steel frame out there, but mine is one of the older ones.

HTTP404
    Free Member

I helicopter taped the decal on the down tube (around the bb) then removed it – along with the decal 🙁
    A bit of white gaffer tape now covers missing bit and keeps the frame pretty 🙂

-Liam-
    Free Member

Odd.

I'm 99% sure the decals on mine are lacquered over.

Tim
    Free Member

slack chain in that photo 🙂

Currently stripped down but awaiting a fresh build. Lovely bike and cant wait to get it built back up

clwydrider
    Free Member

Great bikes, he won't regret it, had mine a couple of years now and I've no intention of changing.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Definitely 'Yay'. I've a Ti geared and a steel SS. Both awesome.

willyboy
    Free Member

Another yay here for the duster (mine's steel – i bought it 2nd hand too). Had mine just over a year and its been the best all round mtb i've owned. Pretty tough, climbs well and likes singletrack.

mralexbenn
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies gents seems like a good choice for him then and me as I will be the one building it up. Any one know of a Duster going cheap any were?

DT78
    Free Member

Very happy with my duster, very very fast single track bike, out of my collection it is by far the quickest bike A to B. Once you get used to it it's okay in the air too. (I don't do anything massive all sub 4-5 foot).

There really isn't that much difference between a gensis io and a duster imo. I have a 17.5 io with a 100mm stem and a med duster with a 90mm stem both ride pretty similar.

It's quite amusing as my riding buddies ask which bike I'm coming on and try to actively discourage use of the duster 🙂

One downside I do suffer from chainsuck more on it than on other frames and my emails to charge on the matter have been ignored, I have tried 3 drivetrains which were okay on other frames

shinsplints

Whats the seatclamp size on the Duster ??????????????
    seatpost is 27.2mm right ?

HTTP404
    Free Member

29.8mm or 30.0mm

ziggy
    Free Member

Yep seatpost 27.2mm, although I put on a salsa QR clamp and it has to be done up tight to stop seatpost slipping. Not quite as springy on the rear end as I was expecting, but I'm never selling the frame on this. Paintwork is not the toughest, but it will get powder coated when it gets really scruffy.

ziggy
    Free Member

Oh seatclamp is 29.8mm but 30mm will do, see above comments.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, i did get some hefty chainsuck on mine, although this is a downside to having such snappy short chainstays and big tyre clearance.

The only solution i reckon is steel (shimano) chainrings, and looking after the drivetrain. I only suffered problems when I started messing about with tarty aluminium granny and middle rings.

mralexbenn
    Free Member

One other thing it is a disc only frame right? That will bum up the build cost, he he he more parts to look for

-Liam-
    Free Member

As above. The clearance between the chain stay and rings is close but that is what you get given the amount of mud clearance and the ability to use a big tire. There is certainly nothing the frame can do to cause chain suck. The chain line just needs to be set properly and chain and rings kept in good condition. Its not been a problem on my bike. I use a 27.2 thomson seat post and a 29.8 spank seatclamp which is not quick release(no reason other than i like it) which doesnt get changed. You don't see many frames for sale 2nd hand but they generally go for 100 to 150 quid. I got mine for 50 on fleabay cos they seller was really vague about what they was selling to the point where they described it as a large bmx frame made from alloy, so i just took a punt on it 😀

-Liam-
    Free Member

Yup. Disk only. Well mine is. Dunno if earlier ones are specced for v brakes as well.

tsr
    Free Member

yah – great steeds….

shinsplints

Loving the Duster 8 amongst other reasons for its quietness. Zero chainsuck, slap or no rear mech clanking around. Love it.

ferrit32
    Free Member

Can any of you Duster owners confirm the largest tyre size you can fit on the back please?

-Liam-
    Free Member

Quietness – yup. I notice that. Run's so quiet. No vibrations or clatter that you get with a stiffer frame on a trail.

shinsplints

The only sound is the sound of me coughing up a lung 😆

-Liam-
    Free Member

haha 😀

DT78
    Free Member

Why would you want to put massive tyres on it? Never got that.

I've had 2.25 NN/RRalph but just felt overkill, currently using 2.1 RRon/FF. During winter 1.8 Medusa on the front 2.2 Mud X.

Last night I did some tinkering and swapped the chainrings from standard triple on XT to 26/36 steel rings as a final attempt to banish chainsuck.

One good side to the chainsuck is that you end up not changing down to the granny so stay in higher gears up the climbs than normal.

If I had space I'd be seriously considering the alfine version to!

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

@ Ziggy: Your photo's the wrong way up, mate:

😉

(My SS Duster in Brian Rourke livery).

ferrit32
    Free Member

DT78 – I am toying with the idea of a 650b build based on a readily available s/h 26" frame and wondered if the Charge would be able to take a Pacenti Neomoto 2.1.. Looks as if chainstay length may be more of an issue that width between stays.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Charge Duster Yay or Nay?’ is closed to new replies.