Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Charge Duster 11 – anyone else having a problem with nervous front end?
  • dirgi007
    Free Member

Hi there,

I bought a Charge Duster 11 via mail order last week. I have only owned which Aluminium or Carbon mountain bikes, so have little epxerience with steel/tange bikes.

Problem is that the Charge Duster feels very different. The front end is extremely nervous. A slight and repeated shift of weight on the handlebar from the left to the right and back results in the entire bike shivering, to an extent that makes riding the bike feel really unsafe. I am confident to ride it on bridleways but not on any tougher terrain. I have tightended all the scres at the headset and the stem but the siutuation has not improved.

Is it supposed to be like that, possibly as a result of the steel frame? Or is the bike possibly not correctly assembled?

Thanks

Dirgi007

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

You mean if you quickly shake the bars from side to side, the vibration travels down the length of the bike? Yup, my steel Marin did that, as did all the steel-framed bikes I’ve ever owned, and they were fine for more demanding terrain than bridleways!

dirgi007
    Free Member

Thanks idiotdogbrain.

Yes, my Charge does exactly waht you say: the vibration travels down the entire bike. So that was not a problem for you on rough terrain? My Charge feels really twitchy and unsafe over even modetly bumpy terrain, as any slight correction on the handlebar and/or impact from the ground translates into some VERY noticeable shaking.

Thanks

letmetalktomark

How are your forks set up?

ska-49
    Free Member

My duster was a great bike! Took a heck of a lot of abuse. Surprised how well it rode with just 100mm. Ended up as my hack bike. Never experienced the nervousness/twichyness that you described though..

philtricklebank

I love my Duster and threw it down some very rough terrain, but it is the 2009 eight speed. Think the 11 now has the “skinny” Tange frame so that may make it more flexible? Never noticed the whole frame wobbling excessively on any ride, but could make it happen if I wobbled the bars like you say.

It is now my backup bike as I just don’t fit 26″ bikes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Charge Duster 11 – anyone else having a problem with nervous front end?’ is closed to new replies.