Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Charge Cooker SS
  • Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Afternoon,

I’ve read some bits on here and any review I can find in the interweb about Charge’s Cooker SS but I’m after some real world experiences and maybe some comparisons to other 29er SS you may have owned. If I get one it will be my first foray into the world of SS’ing so I don’t want to chuck a load of money but want to give it a fair try and this, except the wheels seems like a decent starting point?

Let me have the good and the bad

cheers

Adam

afrothunder88

I very nearly got one via C2W but wound up with the Cannondale Trail SL SS instead.

My experience: avoid eccentric BB’d bikes like the plague. You’d think I would’ve listened to several friends who’ve had issues with them before but no. I’m sick to death of mine loosening constantly & I’m stuck with it until September.

Obviously, the Cooker’s BB could be fine and dandy!

plus-one

I too looked at the cooker before I opted for the cannondale trail ss.. I’ve not had any issues with my eccentric but was always planning to upgrade it when it becomes problematic(if it does) ..

Reckoned the cooker would be a weighty beast being chromo 🙁 lovely looker though ..

Few 2014 trail ss still around at good price 🙂

Love mine I upgraded brakes to slx and been cracking trouble free rig thus far ..

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/14118/cannondale-trail-sl-29er-ss-hardtail-mountain-bike-2014-sale?variantId=62126&gclid=CKLa8rOC7sMCFYjLtAodalIANQ

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Cheers guys, really appreciate you input.

Have either of you had SS29ers before to compare the ‘Dale to?

plus-one

No sorry I came from a genesis io ss 26″ wheels.. Night and day on the dale.. Did have a brief blast on a mates kona unit which sold the 29’r concept to me.. Was weighty though but lovely sorted kona geometry ..

Nearly had one but missed out on eBay . No regrets with the dale mine running tubeless is around 23-24lb mark which isn’t ground breaking in weight stakes but it has some heavy wheels/finishing kit all worth upgrading ..

Wheras steel frame will always be a lump 😉

benji
    Free Member

The eccentric on the Cannondale is tightened a different way to the Charge, so not the same thing. Had a cannondale, thought it was very nice, but the bottom bracket could have been better. Couple of my team mates run the charge cookers and love them. There is massive love as well for the Singular, but it’s a more expensive option.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Thanks Benji.

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

One of the lads i ride with has the Trail and the eccentric has never slipped but it was a total nightmare to adjust after a few weeks riding in the crud… literally a soft hammer job which really doesnt lend itself to on the spot adjustment.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Got a Charge Cooker, was my first SS. Very nice ride indeed, yes it’s steel so a touch heavier but it feels so nice. I have adjusted the bottom bracket which is very easy as it’s two grub screws mounted at the back very simple, no issues. It is also a looker with its slender lines, I have the bling chrome version but black forks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Charge Cooker SS’ is closed to new replies.