Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Channel Tunnel / Ferry pricing question…
  • rickmeister

Can anyone help with this one… looking at the pricing for the summer hols and the operators all have a really cheap price for a 1 day return or overnight return ticket….

Whats the consequence of getting one of these and not turning up for the other half… ? They are a lot better priced than a return spanning three weeks for example… just buy two for the days you need…

What could possibly go wrong.. ?

Thanks.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hmmm…interesting plan. Give it a try and let us know. 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Do you book the registration number or just by lead passenger ? You could always book one in a different name if its by passenger.I noticed a day trip Dover /Calais could be as cheap as about 30 quid.

donsimon
    Free Member

Whats the consequence of getting one of these and not turning up for the other half… ?

I’ve heard that they will wait until all the passengers are on board before leaving.

rickmeister

Indeed… anyone else… It seems so plausible… why not ?

Arrive at the check in and get detention for not turning up for the other half of the one day return?

24 hr return outward on the fairy, 24 return homeward on the chunnel…. no rego checks.. ?

rickmeister

I’ve heard that they will wait until all the passengers are on board before leaving.

Your kidding, right…. having seen the ferry departing as I rolled into Dover…..

nealglover
    Free Member

Whats the consequence of getting one of these and not turning up for the other half… ?

Been doing it for years.

Book Hull-> Rotterdam outbound and Calais-> Dover return (next Day)

This is way cheaper than booking a single Hull-> Rotterdam ticket. !!

Ditch the return calais->Dover ticket.

Book on Norfolkline from Dunkirk to Dover for £19 to come home whenever I need to.

(combined this is waaaay cheaper than booking it in the normal way. )

Never had any issues at all. And I can’t imagine any other companies being different.

mrmo
    Free Member

(vi) All bookings of Restricted Duration are only valid where the outward and return journeys are completed within the specified period of time, with the same vehicle and passengers and using the same operator. If you fail to travel on one part of your booking then we may charge you a supplement. That supplement will be the difference between the amount you have paid and the price for the standard single fare appropriate to the sailing used. This payment will be collected using the credit card details provided when paying for the original booking.

This is taken from P and O’s conditions of travel

P&O T&c’s

SamCooke
    Free Member

Surely can’t be lallowed,,that’s tantamount to fining you for missing your train

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Same applies for Eurotunnel, point 1.1 of their T&C’s allows them to take the full standard fare if you don’t turn up for the return within the allotted time period. Thats why payment must be made by card.

rickmeister

Sorry Neal, read your post a few times and dont get the Hull Rotterdam Calais Dover combo…

MrMo… read that but not bothered about half of the ticket I wont use…. two 24hr returns with a car are still cheaper than one return over a three weeks…

mrmo
    Free Member

Surely can’t be lallowed,,that’s tantamount to fining you for missing your train

You do understand Train ticketing do you?

If you miss your train you will find yourself out of pocket.

mrmo
    Free Member

MrMo… read that but not bothered about half of the ticket I wont use…. two 24hr returns with a car are still cheaper than one return over a three weeks…

Point is they are entitled to charge you for the three week ticket if they discover that you have bought two cheap tickets and tried to pull a fast one. I am certainly not saying they will try and recoup, but they do have your credit card details and the t&c’s do allow them to do it.

If you want to take it to court that is your choice.

I would suggest ensuring they can’t claim back, disposable prepay card etc.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Of course you have to buy the second one day return from the other side. Otherwise when you don’t turn up for your outward journey, they will cancel your return

donsimon
    Free Member

Will I be shot down in flames for pointing out that cheating on the T&Cs is basically theft from the company and at very least immoral?

I am certainly not saying they will try and recoup, but they do have your credit card details and the t&c’s do allow them to do it.

Absolutely and missing a ferry won’t be a problem as you’ll probably be on site explaining this to the ferry co, no?

SamCooke
    Free Member

Will I be shot down in flames for pointing out that cheating on the T&Cs is basically theft from the company and at very least immoral?

Is charging different prices for journies which are essentailly the same immoral?

mrmo
    Free Member

Is charging different prices for journies which are essentailly the same immoral?

You mean in the way all(?) airlines offer a demand based pricing system these days? You book 12 months in advance you pay x book 12hours before the flight you pay y.

SamCooke
    Free Member

No, i mean when booking at the same time

nealglover
    Free Member

Sorry Neal, read your post a few times and dont get the Hull Rotterdam Calais Dover combo…

Nothing to get really. That’s just the route I need to take.

Hull to Rotterdam on the way out.

(as I live near Hull so it makes sense)

And Come back via Dover as I need to Drop stuff off on the way back through the country heading north.

But the routes aren’t particularly relevant, just the fact that I have done it maybe 25 times over the last 5 years and never had my credit card charged anything other than what I have bought.

Despite what they am say in the Terms and Conditions, it’s never going to happen.

igrf
    Free Member

Not sure if its a regional promotion to us down here in Gods County, but they are running a promotion on the TV saying book now at £53 per car.. I’d check their website, all the X Channel bookings are down this year, so the deal might be Nationwide.

rickmeister

Thanks Neal, got it now. Its exactly what I was thinking, re two different companies or routes…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Channel Tunnel / Ferry pricing question…’ is closed to new replies.