Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Channel 4 tonight, Dispatches 20.00 Yodel couriers
  • jekkyl

If they’re running around on normal car insurance they won’t be covered if they have an accident, standard insurance only covers social, domestic & pleasure (to and from place of work) they will not be covered for using their car whilst working.

STATO
    Free Member

If they’re running around on normal car insurance they won’t be covered if they have an accident, standard insurance only covers social, domestic & pleasure (to and from place of work) they will not be covered for using their car whilst working.

Wont be covered for their own loss, the ins.co will still pay out to 3rd parties.

Trimix
    Free Member

What I don’t understand is why basic economics don’t mean the labour force dries up for poor paying businesses.

Or is there a steady supply of idiots who cant think applying to do the job.

Balanced of course by customers (like us) not willing to pay for delivery.

footflaps

Could be worse, thing of all the City Link Couriers who’d bought vans and had them painted up in City Link colours and then lost their jobs just before xmas the other year!

chip
    Free Member

What I don’t understand is why basic economics don’t mean the labour force dries up for poor paying businesses.

Doesn’t the government top them up with them there tax credits?

paulwf

A dodgy courier crashed into me a few months ago and then legged it in his clapped out Transit connect. Fortunately I got the numberplate – it was registered to a local back street rental place.
    After some detective work I found out that this particular place have got several hundred clapped out vans that are rented out to independant couriers who pay cash for them weekly.
    They had big problems when Citylink went bust as they didn’t have anywhere near enough space to store them

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I deal with all the london couriers on a daily basis.

The ONLY ONE I don’t hear complaining about what a shite job it is, is the DHL guy.

German company that takes care of it’s employees. Bit of an old fashioned notion but it seems to work…

BillOddie

Did anyone else spot the Planet-X box?

spooky_b329

I listened in to a telephone conversation in a couriers office whilst doing dinner unrelated work, the jist of the conversation was that to earn a decent living, he would lease the van direct from wages, door to door deliveries during the day, evening run taking a load to a sorting depot, kip in the van overnight, return load from the sorting depot in the early hours and then out for the day doing deliveries. Self employed and if own vehicle, expected to replace regularly.

Hard life!

MSP

I deal with all the london couriers on a daily basis.

The ONLY ONE I don’t hear complaining about what a shite job it is, is the DHL guy.

German company that takes care of it’s employees. Bit of an old fashioned notion but it seems to work…

I think that is probably down to the strength of German unions rather than the will of the company. They had strikes this year in Germany to stop DHL joining the race to the bottom. The strange thing is that most people in Germany will pay a bit more for DHL delivery due to the better service (decent network of post offices that open at usable hours and packstations that can be accessed 24 hours a day).

Rio

Did anyone else spot the Planet-X box

Was it mine? I’m sat waiting for one that is apparently out for delivery from a depot in Northampton to deepest Buckinghamshire, which must be nearly 50 miles. I hope the driver’s getting more than 60p for it.

konabunny
    Free Member

I seem to remember that UPS drivers in the USA are unionised as well, and consequently it’s seen as a reasonable job that pays a wage you can live on. (I might be wrong).

soundninjauk

When I worked in a despatch/library office in Soho, the UPS guy was always exceedingly cheery…

wilko1999
    Free Member

Here’s my new Titus Rockstar frame delivered while we were out by Yodel. Stored (rammed) nice and safely half in my bin store out the front of my house. In a full-on monsoon style rainstorm. In full view of anyone passing by as I live on a main road.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Channel 4 tonight, Dispatches 20.00 Yodel couriers’ is closed to new replies.