Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Changing Tubeless Tyres!! Help….
  • dan98
    Free Member

Hi,
    Probably a bit of a numpty question (Sorry) but when changing tubeless tyres which i have not done before I keep reading you need compressed air to get the tyre on the rim bead, one of my questions is would a Joe Blow Sport Track pump supply sufficent air to do this? Or do you need a compressor? My local shop saying the charge will be £25 per tyre!!
    My rims are already tubeless and I have tubeless Cont Race Kings on them currently which came with the bike and offer very little grip so looking to change them with more grippy tubeless ie. Maxxis Crossmark or Pan Fire XC Pro etc..
    Any other tips with tyre changing would be greatly recieved!!
    Many thanks

Dan

racing_ralph
    Free Member

track pump unless you are a pumping wimp is fine

RoterStern
    Free Member

The air compressor is the easiest way but you can do it with a track pump using either a lot of fairy liquid or that liquid they use in bike shops to put on regular tires. You need to be able to make a small air seal all the way around the tire for that split second that the first few shots of air go through the valve. It takes a bit of time and faffing but if you have no way of getting to an air compressor than that's your only option. Once seated though you can let the air out of the tire and re-pump no problem with a mini pump of you so wish if you want to put some sealant through the valve core for example.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Turning the tyre inside out for half an hour helps to hold the bead out against the rim too

racing_ralph
    Free Member

his rims are ust so problems with tryes should be minimal if using tubeless tyres

meeeee
    Free Member

CO2 inflator works well, although if you are using stans it can (apparently) cause the sealant to go off quicker, so seat the tyre, deflate, add sealant through the valve and then pump up notmally (will be easy now as bead will still be locked in the rim)

njee20
    Free Member

If you're using UST then you'll be absolutely fine with a track pump. Even using converted rims a track pump is more than enough if you're sensible with your tyre choice.

soobalias
    Free Member

cross marks dont offer any more grip than race kings IMO.

track pump will be fine.

epicsteve
    Free Member

It's threads like this that make me think sticking to tubes is a good thing!

Trimix
    Free Member

Well said epicsteve. They also make me laugh 🙂

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Or take your wheels and tyres to the garage and use an air line.Doesn`t matter if you get latex all over their forecourt instead of your garage floor…………

BluePalomino
    Free Member

It's threads like this that make me think sticking to tubes is a good thing!

bleah. s'pose bleeding brakes and adjusting gears is too much hassle too 🙄

dan98
    Free Member

Hi,
    Thanks for all the response's. Yes i have to agree epicsteve a good old innertube change does seem a hell of a lot easier!! But then maybe when you've done it a few times it will be ok.

Sounds like a Track Pump will work with a bit of ooomph as my rims are UST so £30 should cover that and mean I can use it in the future.
    The current tyres are 2.2 will fitting a 2.1 be easier than say a 2.25 / 2.35 etc…?
    Many thanks again

Dan

Shackleton

Having done mine last night I found that the easiest way to do it was to make sure that the bead was as close to the edge of the rim as possible on each side and then pump away with the wheel laid flat on the ground. The tyre had an omega shape in cross section before I inflated it if that helps. Then remove the valve stem and pour in your sealant of choice. Took about 15 minutes per wheel (and they were still up this morning). So far successfully done this method with with Maxxis ADvantage 2.25, Conti MK2.4 Protection and High rollers 2.35 on DT 5.1D rims with the DT conversion kit. I've never had to resort to soapy water or compressed air with any tire I have tried, I think that careful preparation is the key.

Good luck.

cheers_drive

I managed to do a ghetto tubeless conversion on my HT yesterday with soapy water and frantic (I nearly collapsed with exhaustion afterwards) pumping with a track pump.
    By any chance are you doing it on a Lapierre Zesty as they come with XT UST wheels and Race King tyres? If so I think you'll find that the tyres actually have tubes in them. I've got a Zesty but I've yet to use the tyres tubeless.

Trimix
    Free Member

Im still laughing 🙂

glenh
    Free Member

What are you laughing at?
    The OPs set up is easier to inflate than a tube (if he has UST rims+ tyres they will go up with a mini-pump), and doesn't get punctures.

dan98
    Free Member

Hi Cheers-drive,

Yes it is a Zesty 514 so thats what came fitted, so you think there will be a tube when i take the tyre off? So does this mean then I can fit a normal non-UST tyre?
    Only reason i want to change them is the Race Kings are not very grippy, all over the place at my local trail place the other day, don't mind the back going but the front was going too….! Will end in tears i am sure.
    Cheers

Dan

dan98
    Free Member

P.S
    Trimix hope you get stomach cramps!!! But glad to entertain…

cheers_drive

I have a 514 too but I plan to use non UST tyres when I use it tubeless. As long as the carcass isn't to light weight – standard Maxxis is good then it will work fine without tubeless and will weight less than UST. I just used a Maxxis Exception carcass tubeless but I think the sidewalls are a bit thin and squirm too much when cornering hard.

I'm trying out 2.35 High roller front and 2.1 Advantage rear at the moment with tubes before deciding to use them tubeless.

edit> You'll know if it's setup tubeless already because if it isn't they would have given you the tibeles vavles with the bike.

daveb
    Free Member

The first time i inflated tyres on my tubeless setup I had all sorts of problems, got some help from someone who had done it before and now find it dead easy. With CO2 its mega easy but a track pump should be fine, I find having someone help makes it even easier. (they hold the tyre on while you pump it up)

£25 per tyre to fit is crazy money

WackoAK
    Free Member

I'm a serial tyre changer and never had any issues getting tyres inflated. Occasionally I have to press on the tyre just above the valve to help but that's it (819's with UST tyres). I use a track pump as it's faster and easier, never had to revert to a co2 cannister.

ollieT
    Free Member

Just buy a compressor :roll:. I got one from Aldi for £69 (about the cost of two tyres) and never regreted it. Its easyier than with tubes and you can use it to blow your bike off after you have washed it.so no more water left in the bearings :D.

glenh
    Free Member

cheers_drive – a word of caution:

I've had a non-UST maxxis tyre completely dismount (bead into the center channel) when running them tubeless on UST rims.

This was after a crash, but I'm not sure if the dismounted tyre was a result of or the cause of the crash….

glenh
    Free Member

p.s. I've had no problems with light weight tyres with tubeless beads (ie. bonty tubeless ready or spesh 2bliss).

RicB

Fire XC Pros are very difficult to setup tubeless so I'd consider something else. They're rubbish anyway 😉

RoterStern
    Free Member

Why is going to the local petrol station so much hassle? You do it with your cars every week? I take the wheel with me a quick blast on the compressor…wait till you hear the 'pop' at around 60psi to let you know the tire has seated properly and then take it home again let the air out, undo the valve core pour in the sealant, redo valve core, pump leisurely with track pump and then puncture free for the next six months. Very easy actually.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

£25 per tyre is silly

Do get the tyre to inflate on the rim before you attempt it with sealant or it can get messy. I like the tip about turning the tyre inside out – will try that next time

wormhole

i am still in shock that any LBS wants £25 to fit a tyre, you can get a tractor tyre fitted for less??

radoggair
    Free Member

roter Stern – here here, i agree ( never done this before but sounds like the easiest way to do this – unless you live miles upon miles from a garage)

dan98
    Free Member

I take it you need an adaptor to put onto the compressor at the garage as it will be Schrader valve for cars?

dan98
    Free Member

Ordered!! Thanks.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Changing Tubeless Tyres!! Help….’ is closed to new replies.