• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Changing Tubeless Tyres
  • turboferret

I’m running tubless on my 29er using standard tyres and Stans sealant.

First time running tubeless so collective STW knowledge would be useful.

Changed tyres this morning in preparation for racing at the weekend, and was wondering what people do with the tyres they remove. I transferred the majority of the sealant from the old tyres to the new ones, and gave them a quick wipe around with a bit of kitchen towel.

Do people wash them out? Leave them to dry? Something else?

One assumes that leaving them to dry would mean a heavy tyre with several layers of solidified latex on the inside after a few changes.

Thoughts and experience appreciated.

Cheers, Rich

Simon

I salvage what sealant I can, then hose out the tyre.

jonba
    Free Member

Salvage sealant then wipe tyre. When I come to put the other one back on then I might give it a clean to remove any big lumps of dried on sealant.

I only do this about twice a year though changing from all round tyres to see me through autum-spring to race tyres in summer.

Kahurangi

Year-round tyre choice For The Win Compromise.

When I do change tyres (winter-mud/rest-of-year-mud) I scrape out the remaining goop for the new tyres then give the tyres a wipe or hose down.

FWIW, the dried latex is not exactly heavy!

njee20
    Free Member

I wash them under the outside tap, get as much latex off the bead as possible, if it dries it makes putting them back on a ball ache.

traildog
    Free Member

If you do this regularly, it’s got to be worth investing in a second set of wheels. You can then have a lightweight race wheelset and a strong trail/training wheel.

Thankfully the trails are the same year round here so it’s one set of tyres till they wear out for me.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Sealant should be changed every 6 months. Reuse – false economy. I have second wheel set with more agressive setup on for gnar ha ha

I kinda run maxxis Ardents all year TBH

rosscopeco
    Free Member

As most of the above, I simply salvage the old sealant and hose out the old tyre. Like traildog, the conditions here in sunny hot Glasgow really dont change much so I’m finding that the same set of Racing Ralphs do me almost the year round. I just drop the tyre pressure if it’s super muddy and wet. Once the ice appears then its on with the spikes…

FuzzyWuzzy

I tip all the old sealant out, wipe around the tyre with a paper towel and stash it in the spares pile. If I use it again I just make sure I peel off any dried sealant left around the bead

turboferret

Splendid, thanks for the responses.

FWIW the tyres I’ve just removed have only been on there for a week, and have only seen 2 rides in the UK – trail conditions are a bit different here in India!

Cheers, Rich

njee20
    Free Member

Sealant should be changed every 6 months. Reuse – false economy.

Why? Seeing as you never get every last drop out of the tyre I supplement with a dash of fresh sealant every time. I’ve probably got a few molecules of sealant that are years old and have been in 20 tyres!

molgrips
    Free Member

I leave it to dry then brush it off when I re-fit. Pull the big bits off the bead.

They seal a lot more easily the second time around.

scruff
    Free Member

I alwys reuse as much sealant as poss. No point swilling the old stuff out as the tyre will be sealed next time if you leave it. A brillo pad works well to degunk the bead of dried on bits.

Taff
    Free Member

I transferred the majority of the sealant from the old tyres to the new ones, and gave them a quick wipe around with a bit of kitchen towel.

Do people wash them out? Leave them to dry?

I do this

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Changing Tubeless Tyres’ is closed to new replies.