Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Changing to Tubeless ?
  • TheWrongTrousers

Thinking about changing to using tubeless rims/tyres, from my existing 26″ Alex Rims / Rubber Queen combination.
    They’re on my Enduro-type Spicy so would need something similar that would stand up to the same kind of treatment.
    Reason being to try and reduce the number of punctures and to save some weight.

What’s the current thinking about which rims to use, what are the options ?

Also, do you ALWAYS have to run them with some kind of fluid in the tyres or do most people go without ?

Really should have paid more attention at wheel school …….

TIA

Muke
    Free Member

Not an expert and only converted to tubeless myself a couple of weeks ago but my understanding is that most tyres/rim combinations can be converted to tubeless using ghetto methods or just buy tubeless specific if you want. The fluid inside the tyre is used to seal any small leaks around the bead and also to seal up punctures when they occur.

Your biggest worry should be that you are still running 26″ 😉

Garry_Lager

Hope hoop built with a Stans Arch or flow rim? Very reliable and easy tubeless set-up in my experience. Wouldn’t really look past these if you’re buying new, unless you wanted to shell out for something right at the top end.

I think fluid is essential for Stans and for most tubeless – not heard of anyone not using it nowadays. I know you can run mavic UST rims without it, but latex is still recommended. As well as puncture protection it seems to help the tyre to seal and run better in general.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I went tubeless on Tuesday. It was a bit of a faff but it all went right relatively easy once I’d got the method right, did a mates wheel the inner tube way on his DH bike and i did my flow ex hoops with the provided valve and fluid. We used the homemade inflator technique for the split inner tube method and my flows i seated it with a tube popped one bead out took he tube out put the valve in and then teased the bead back into the locking groove as far round as possible and it went up with a track pump. Hasn’t lost any pressure since.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

What sort of punctures are you getting?

Dickyboy

tubeless tyres + rim strips + gloop = unlikely to loose any weight*

* could easily be proved wrong

chestrockwell

That’s what I was thinking. 😕

MarkLG
    Free Member

The main reasons to run tubeless are to reduce punctures, reduce rolling resistance (there’s no tube to tyre friction), and increase grip (due to lower pressures). Sometimes it’ll work out lighter.
    UST rims with UST tyres don’t need sealant, but the tyres tend to be a bit weighty due to the extra rubber coating on the inside to make them hold air (e.g. Maxxis LUST).
    Tubeless ready tyres (e.g. Specialized) do need sealant and it takes few rides before they’re fully airtight.
    I’ve used Mavic USTs and currently run Easton UST wheels with Specialized tyres, and haven’t had any problems with either.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You won’t save weight. But grip will go up and rolling resistance goes down if you get a decent strong sidewall tyres and run than about 10 psi lower than your equivalent tubed setup.

Much success over here with Stans rims and schwalbe snakeskin sidewall tyres

seavers
    Free Member

Hope hoops, Flows or Arch EX. Yes to goop, it will help seal and also plug punctures. You can run without as other have said but I have been glad of it when I get a puncture.

rockhopperbike

That’s what I was thinking.

POSTED 6 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

I got to thinking the same when I wanted to go tubeless, but did it anyway for the snakebite protection- I run a hard tail, so they are an issue for me…

anyway, converted mavic rims and the maxxpro maxis tyres thatI already had and ghetto tubes. I have saved 100grams per wheel. old tubes were apporx 180gram, ghetto tubes ended up at 70g after trimming and cafe latex being the rest.

the wheels feel lighter while riding- they defiantly feel different – got use to it after a few rides- just gotta spin the wheels every few days to stop the sidewall leaking- mine aren’t tubeless type tyres- but they will be when I wear em out.

honourablegeorge

Arch/Flow rims with tubeless ready tyres will save plenty of weight.

rickm
    Free Member

I’m running pacenti tl28 rims with maxxis exo tyres, sealed with stans yellow tape and sealant. Worked a treat

TheWrongTrousers

Thanks chaps

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Dickyboy – Member

Running some normal Mavic with no rimstrip just Stans yellow tape (along with loads of people round here)

But still the pinch puncture protection is the main reason.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Changing to Tubeless ?’ is closed to new replies.