Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • changing to flat pedals
  • ventanarider
    Free Member

Having always ridden spd pedals, for various reasons i want to try/convert to flats.
    I have bought some 5:10 freeride shoes and would like some pedal recommendations please.

Also, what difficulties might i expect to encounter especially as the little air I do take is normally assisted by the spd’s.

organic355
    Free Member

I would expect lots of this:

Not the hair, the cuts

(Not my legs, mine are hairier!) 😯

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Also, what difficulties might i expect to encounter especially as the little air I do take is normally assisted by the spd’s.

If you don’t keep your weight/COG central you will either be thrown from the bike or it will fly off down the trail without you. Your foot is going to have to be in a different position – with the axle under the arch of your foot rather than under the ball – and you’ll need to learn/relearn how to apply your body weight to the pedals.

I’d recommend some thin flats, like Wah-Wahs or Nanos as they feel more like you’re part of the pedal rather than being stood on top of it (DMR V8/12s, for example, are quite tall); if that makes any sense?

rewski
    Free Member

Easton flatboys or DMR V12s

Stuey01
    Free Member

Wellgo MG1s here, very light for the money and seem grippy enough.

mdavids
    Free Member

Your foot is going to have to be in a different position – with the axle under the arch of your foot rather than under the ball

Do this!!

Wish I’d realised 3 months ago when I first tried flats. My ankle still gives me problems now especially on drop-offs. I’m using wellgo B54s.

Stumpjumper
    Free Member

I ran flats at the weekend (peaslake) running Shimano AM41’s and some old DMR V8’s.
    After running SPD’s and egg beaters for 10 years or so!

Felt much more, nimble on the bike, managed to rail the Berms on BKB I hadnt managed before with SPD’s!?

That shoe combo worked for me..
    Do it.

ventanarider
    Free Member

Your foot is going to have to be in a different position – with the axle under the arch of your foot rather than under the ball

Does that mean moving the saddle position?

jonb
    Free Member

you’ll need to learn to bunnyhop. Google it as there are plenty of vidoes out there.

You’ll cut your shins a bit at first so might be worth putting on pads if you have them. Doesn’t happen as much to me anymore.

As for choosing pedals I really like my nanos available from readytoride.co.uk or superstarcomponents.co.uk (in more colours). Most flat pedals are pretty good these days if you are spending £35+ you make savings in weight by paying more but not really extra grip.

mdavids
    Free Member

Does that mean moving the saddle position?

I dont think it matters that much when you’re sitting down and pedalling. When you’re standing up and landing jumps or drop-offs its very important. I landed very heavily off a drop and my foot snapped back on itself as the pedal was too far forward.

BigJohn

Drop your saddle so it feels like you’re riding with really bent legs. Stops you bouncing around when pedalling hard over bumpy ground.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Wellgo mg1s are brilliant farley – welcome to try mine

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I got 5:10 Freeriders and Shimano DX’s when I went from SPD to flat because I didn’t want anything with stupidly aggressive pins that would cut me to shreds. Also wanted pedals that didn’t need maintenance.

I’ve had very few gashes from the pins. I wore some thick long socks for the first few months – with the Shimano pins they pretty much protected me from damage.

Learning to hop is not difficult – you just need to point your toes down and sweep back a bit with your feet. The grip from the 5:10’s really helps

stevious

I recently made the same jump from SPDs to flats and am really enjoying it.

Some thoughts:

– Cheap football shin pads will prevent bloody shins just as well as expensive 661 ones.
    – I found the foot position thing to be more critical when weating flexible shoes as it helps you ‘grip’ the pedal better. Is less of an issue of your shoes are quite stiff.
    – I have DMR v8s on one bike and superstar nanos on the other. The nanos with some 5.10s feel almost as secure as SPDs, the v8s less so.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘changing to flat pedals’ is closed to new replies.