Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Changing to 650B from 26", is it worth doing?
  • stewartc
    Free Member

Noticed that my bike, a Blur TRc, can be upgraded to 650B with with what looks like just new wheels and front suspension but I am thinking, is it worth the hassle.

So the question is, has anyone converted their own bike from 26″ to 650B and was it worth it?

For reference I mostly ride trails and some technical AM stuff with a lot of climbing and road stretches in between.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is there a problem with your current setup?

Just new wheels (Tyres & tubes) and fork could be getting on for a grand 🙂

stewartc
    Free Member

Just curious and in a lucky position to be able to afford this if the feedback is positive.

charliedontsurf

I would not be able to resists.
    I have been a big fan of bigger wheels since my first 29er in 2006/7 ish… Because wheel size does make a difference.
    Looking toward to the even bigger 29plus stuff from surly.
    I have ridden sheldons 650b and that felt good, very nice.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

A fair few team members converted their 26er to a 650 bike, (all running the same frame), in the middle of this year after Fox came out with their forks. Nobody is switching back.

I’d do it if my frame allowed it.

tollah
    Free Member

I converted my Spot Brand SS to 650b and it’s ok but not as good as my Independent Fabrication 650b. Trouble converting a 26er into 650b is the standover gets higher as does the bb. This made the Spot feel very tall, still ok but I wouldn’t go to the expense of changing another 26er again..

pete68
    Free Member

Are you sure you need to change the fork? Some people are using their 26 inch fox forks ok. I understand Rockshox are too tight on room under the brace though.

stewartc
    Free Member

Currently have a Fox Talas 32 up front with about 20mm of clearance with the current tires but it is QR only, so a fork upgrade will allow me to go 15mm axle at the front as well.

tollah
    Free Member

There’s a list of compatible forks on mtbr 650b page iirc

Trimix
    Free Member

Of course its worth doing – you will get less choice of tyres, heavier wheels, more rotating mass and yet another standard. Whats wrong with all that ?

Or you could just ignore the marketing and ride your bike.

Paceman
    Free Member

Out of interest, how did you find out your frame was compatible with the larger wheel standard?

wonnyj
    Free Member

Of course its worth doing – you will get less choice of tyres, heavier wheels, more rotating mass and yet another standard. Whats wrong with all that ?

But I want to go faster!

sofatester
    Free Member

Or you could just ignore the marketing and ride your bike.

This.

But I want to go faster!

Less cake and more climbing perhaps? 😉

br
    Free Member

Currently have a Fox Talas 32 up front with about 20mm of clearance with the current tires but it is QR only, so a fork upgrade will allow me to go 15mm axle at the front as well.

Going for a proper fork will make far more difference.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Less cake and more climbing perhaps?

Yes yes I’ve done that already, lost 1.5 stone in the last 3 months and can climb much faster than I could two years ago thanks to some specific training and much hard work. 😯

But when everyone else in the race is on bigger wheelers and they pull away on the rutted stuff without working any harder it’s difficult not to think that you really “need” bigger wheels.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Am put off by (i) the increase in bottom bracket height and (ii) the potential impact on handling if I don’t change the fork – it’s all about “trail” right?

Jeffus
    Free Member

650b

link above to a forum of 650b users , I’ve been asking around about my SantaCruz Butcher,

as mentioned only concern is too high a BB, I happen to like low BB so it maybe not for me, but it is interesting to try if i had the money I would try it.

tony24
    Free Member

Apparently somone done it on a chumba vf2 i also have x fusion velvets which are 650b ready just waiting for some more wheel set ups and tyres to be released …

stewartc
    Free Member

Concern is the access to tires though a slight raise in the BB height would be OK and something I could live with if it means I can get half a chance to catch up with buddies riding 29ers.

Paceman – as per the list referenced by jeffus

For those wondering why would I do this (extra rotating weight, lack of tire choice etc), I am more than happy with my bike but sometimes you just have to try and see what happens, as JFK may have said in this situation…We choose to go 650b in this decade and do the other things (like fat wheels or SS), not because they are easy, but because we have expendable income and too much time on our hands.

c_klein87

there is a few 650b TRc’s over on mtbr I think and they look great, and with Superstar doing 650b wheelsets now it could be worth a punt, i’m sure the wheelset would be easy to move on if it didn’t work out….all the good tires are coming through next year as well 😉

ransos
    Free Member

But I want to go faster!

And you want to achieve this by making your bike heavier and harder to accelerate?

Paceman
    Free Member

But I want to go faster!

And you want to achieve this by making your bike heavier and harder to accelerate?

Ransos, have you actually ridden a 650b or 29er bike?

packer
    Free Member

I think Schwalbe are already doing their entire range in 650b aren’t they?

packer
    Free Member

Ransos – with that logic I think I’m gonna go for some 20 inch wheels… 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Ransos, have you actually ridden a 650b or 29er bike?

Hook, line and sinker. 😉

More constructively, I’m sure we’d all agree that there are advantages and disadvantages to the larger wheel sizes, and that the balance is dependent on the type of riding and the rider. Given the cost to change, I’d need to be sure it’s worth it.

I’m fairly short, like a light bike, and tend to ride in twisty singletrack, so I’m sticking with 26″.

chipps

I’ve done it on my Santa Cruz Nickel, using X-Fusion 26in forks (plenty of room) though there’s only about 4mm at full travel at the back. To be honest, I found the bike too tall and tippy and it was no longer fun to ride, regardless of any perceived rolling resistance. It’s a bit like 1991 when we all started jamming 53mm travel forks on our steel hardtails and wondering why the magic ride was no longer there, even though we could ride into kerbs now.

I’m getting a ‘real’ 650 shortly and I’m looking forward to comparing the two.

stewartc
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback so far, looks like I will just see what wheels are availbale and give it a try.

brakes
    Free Member

I’m not sure you lot understood what your wives/ girlfriends meant when they said they wished you had an extra inch or two…

Paceman
    Free Member

I’m fairly short, like a light bike, and tend to ride in twisty singletrack, so I’m sticking with 26″.

My local trails are twisty woodland singletrack. I ride a light full-suss 29er and in all but the twistiest sections it’s considerably faster than a 26er.

Maybe you should try one?

ransos
    Free Member

My local trails are twisty woodland singletrack. I ride a light full-suss 29er and in all but the twistiest sections it’s considerably faster than a 26er.

Maybe you should try one?

Should I start to find my bike deficient in some way, I’m sure I’ll have a look at different wheel sizes.

How tall are you and how much does your bike weigh?

Trimix
    Free Member

The difference between 26 and 29 is only small, the difference you may feel going to 650 will be even less.

I wouldnt bother, if you want to go faster the cheapest and by far the most effective way is just to get fitter.

Dont get suckered into marketing hype, or looking at others and thinking it must be the bike.

Paceman
    Free Member

LOL, 26ers aren’t deficient due to their wheel size, i’ve ridden them for 20yrs and loved every minute. I’m just amused by the number of people on here who criticise larger wheel sizes without trying them first. You’re absolutely right, 26″ wheels are better in some situations, and will also suit some riders height and riding style more effectively, but you’ll only know this from trying them out.

I’m 5’10 and my bike weighs roughly 26.5 pounds depending on current tyre choice. Incidentally I went from a medium 26er full-suss to a large 29er full-suss.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m just amused by the number of people on here who criticise larger wheel sizes without trying them first.

I don’t need to try them to know they will increase rotating mass! I have no opinion on whether or not they would ride better.

I’m 5’10 and my bike weighs roughly 26.5 pounds depending on current tyre choice. Incidentally I went from a medium 26er full-suss to a large 29er full-suss.

Interesting. All the 29er riders I know are 6′ plus. Mind you, my Anthem X1 is around 23lbs – changing to an Anthem 29er would add around 3 lbs, so that’s a fairly significant weight gain.

tollah
    Free Member

You must remember though if you do change over not to ride the Quantocks as your wheels could well explode due to the rocks……..

It’s true I read it on here

Paceman
    Free Member

My Anthem X1 is around 23lbs – changing to an Anthem 29er would add around 3 lbs, so that’s a fairly significant weight gain.

…and also some other significant changes to how the bike rides. Weight isn’t the only factor affecting performance.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

The difference between 26 and 29 is only small, the difference you may feel going to 650 will be even less.

I wouldnt bother, if you want to go faster the cheapest and by far the most effective way is just to get fitter.

Dont get suckered into marketing hype, or looking at others and thinking it must be the bike.

Well if you are not a racer then I’d largely agree with you. The difference between 26/650/29 is noticeable and there is a significant difference in my opinion. Agreed about getting fitter, but that only uphill and I think the biggest benefit of larger wheels is downhill.

Finally, its not about marketing. I think that is something that you would find out for yourself should you ever ride a 650/29 bike.

catvet
    Free Member

The Orange Gyro 29 er is as fast if not faster than a Five on same light terrain, quicker uphill, but down side is it is not as good for tight switchback downhills, or when the terrain gets somewhat more lumpy, so overall not as versatile, if one does the odd Alpine trip. However their 140 29er was like a rocket ship and needed air brakes downhill.

beb

For me one of the biggest advantages of bigger wheels is the increased bb drop. converting a 26 to 650b wouldn’t give you that obviously so for that reason, I personally wouldn’t bother.

Paceman
    Free Member

Good point Beb. On my 29er I find the lower centre of gravity created by the lower BB a huge boost to stability and grip.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Changing to 650B from 26", is it worth doing?’ is closed to new replies.