Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Changing the car – a nice hatchback?
  • aidso
    Free Member

Its time to update the car…and it’s a minefield.
    I’ve a VW Golf and while most don’t like the platform, I’ve never had many issues that you wouldn’t get with another brand.
    My criteria is a car large enough to hold 2-3 bikes on the roof (no tow bars or inside storage) preferably in a hatch that looks good with or without the rails.

Has to be a petrol (or hybrid), 40+MPG, 4 doors.
    Cars I’ve been looking at are:
    Golf 1.4 TSi
    Golf GTE
    Audi A3 Sportback 1.5 TFSI
    Audi A3 e-tron
    Volvo V40
    Ford Focus
    Mazda 6 hatchback

No idea on PCP Vs HP but ill be keeping it for several years.
    I’ve entertained the idea of an estate, but I mostly commute alone during the week so the big car would be wasted on me(Octavia, Superb, Mondeo estate, 3 series, a4 avant). Anyone bought something nice recently they’d recommend? Better to ask here amongst practical cyclists than the dealer selling me a G-Whizz with a tow bar 🙂

jamesfts
    Free Member

4 door, petrol, hatchback you say?

Sorted. Next?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Anyone bought something nice recently they’d recommend?

I ordered a focus estate titanium x 1.5 petrol at the end of last month, can’t comment on it yet as I don’t get it until March.

Got a very good price on it through drivethedeal.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Would add the Civic to that list for a look around. I’ve got the diesel and the smart seating options mean it’s been a great load carrier. Can’t get much more reliable than a Honda too.

onlysteel
    Free Member

If your happy with Golf/A3 size wise add Mazda 3 to list. Drive nice, roomier cabin & boot and more reliable in my experience. Mrs on 3rd one now, changing every 4 years. I’ve had a series of GTD company cars and I know what I’d be having if I was spending my own money.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Can’t get much more reliable than a Honda too.

I’ve had an accord for 12 years and it’s had quite a few faults outwith warranty, nothing that stops it working but niggly faults that would be expensive to fix.

stumpy01

You’ve got the Golf & A3 on the list…..but not considering a Seat Leon?

munrobiker
    Free Member

We have a current facelifted Golf as our work pool car and I cannot see why you would want anything more than that in a normal day-to-day car. It’s a nice place to sit, the touchscreen is excellent, it’s so easy to drive (it has radar cruise control, automatic handbrake etc) and it’s all very nicely built.

I had an A Class as a courtesy car for a few months earlier this year and while that was also pretty nice it just wasn’t as nice as the Golf. Which was a surprise as I’ve always fancied an A Class.

Neither are the last word in driving excitement, which is why I don’t have one (but the Golf did have me looking at GTIs when I got my 208 GTi, unfortunately they were too much money). But for someone who just wants “a car” the Golf was excellent.

My dad has an A3 and I don’t see why it costs more money than a Golf. And the screen is awful.

ElShalimo

There’s a new 1.0 TSI 110bhp in the VW group
    Have you looked at a Seat Leon?

The A-class is tiny inside and if you’re over 5’10 the B-pillar will obscure your side-view whilst driving

EDIT – some companies are doing a scrappage scheme at the moment. If you have an old car to get rid of, they sound like decent deals.

Kryton57

3008 Gti is highly rated.

iainc

There’s a new 1.0 TSI 110bhp in the VW group

we have that engine in a new Q2. It is pretty decent

dcjay99
    Free Member

Mazda 3 hatch.
    Comfy, all the kit, good deals, and roomy.
    On my 3rd, no brainer for me.

richmtb

Leon FR 1.8TSI

185BHP so quick enough without being silly.

40+MPG

Looks like this

Gary_M
    Free Member

I looked at the leon ST and the spec was nowhere near as good as the focus. The focus I ordered is the 182ps so also reasonably quick. The leon is a nice car but not nice enough to pay a bit more money for a bit lower spec over the focus.

wombat

dcjay99 – Member
    Mazda 3 hatch.
    Comfy, all the kit, good deals, and roomy.

+1 for this.

I have the 165 PS petrol version. Handles well, suitably brisk and have averaged 43 mpg (calculated brim to brim, not on the car display) since the start of last month.

EDIT..

Also, its a N/A 2.0 engine so there’s no turbo or intercooler to go wrong.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not sure about the new ones, but iirc the old leons have no roof bar mounts, they have a special kit that clamps inside the doors I think – not good since the OP is specifically looking for roof mounted.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Mini Clubman is much bigger than you think, pretty much identical in size and space to a Golf and is bigger than a Focus.

Appreciate the look is not to everyones taste, though I particularly like them and great to drive.

aidso
    Free Member

I missed the Civic from my list, but to be honest after sitting in one of my friends’ I didnt like it. This was 2 years ago (the new shape) but it just didnt do it for me. I think it would look weird with its sloped roof and roof bars too?
    The Leon is interesting. Never thought of it. I think for me its between the Focus, A3 and Golf. The Focus sounds like a great drivers car but the inside looks really cheap; The Audi and Golf are going head-to-head, but is the A3 worth the increased price?

aidso
    Free Member

I wanted a second-hand GTD but the way the market is going, I dont want to be in the situation where I can’t sell it on

Gary_M
    Free Member

Just a heads up but if you’re buying new then you might struggle to get a petrol for a good few months. Manufacturers order engines a year in advance and Ford didn’t anticipate the rapid switch from diesel to petrol engines so don’t have enough engines at the moment, hence my 5 month wait.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I wanted a second-hand GTD but the way the market is going, I dont want to be in the situation where I can’t sell it on

Personal view… I suspect the value of second hand diesels may even start to attract a premium, as a result of the supply becoming restricted.

NZCol

I’ve just swapped to a nice practical 4wd hatchback, petrol, v8 petrol right enough but i wanted one last hurrah before we’re all forced to drive electric pencil cases 😉

Anyway for the OP – Golf estate, quite nice things.

T1000
    Free Member

Go slightly smaller? New Polo is golf mk4 sized and has grown in size compared to the previous (new version just launched)

Similar trend at most other manufacturers, you could slice 5 k£ off the purchase cost by stepping down the range)

munrobiker
    Free Member

The Audi and Golf are going head-to-head, but is the A3 worth the increased price?

No.

Kamakazie

There’s a brand new Civic out which is more conventional in shape but unfortunately doesn’t have the flexible seating anymore.
    Might be better with roof bars though.

ratherbeintobago

There’s a brand new Civic out which is more conventional in shape but unfortunately doesn’t have the flexible seating anymore.

Aye, the roof load limit is something ridiculous like 35kg though.

Is there such a thing as a Golf-sized hatchback with roof rack hard points, rather than bars that clamp onto the door frame? Old Astra had them and it made getting bars on and off single handed a doddle.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The A3 is certainly a high quality hatchback (sportsback) but it comes at a price.

Personally I am against small engine turbos so would not consider anything less than a 1.8. I have serious doubts a 1.5 and certainly a 1 or 1.2 is going to last in what are these days quite large heavy cars (Golf etc)

As above I would certainly include a Leon and Leon Estate in your list, Golf Estate too.

Without opening the whole STW SUV can of worms I’d add the new Skoda Kodiaq (launching Jan 2018) to the list. From what I have seen it will be similar in load carrying practicality as the small estates above and much better than a Golf/A3/Leon hatchback

jambalaya
    Free Member

Is there such a thing as a Golf-sized hatchback with roof rack hard points, rather than bars that clamp onto the door frame?

A3 can be had with roof rails (may even be standard)

ratherbeintobago

I have serious doubts a 1.5 and certainly a 1 or 1.2 is going to last in what are these days quite large heavy cars (Golf etc)

Wife’s Golf estate is the 1.4t and isn’t short of poke.

A3 can be had with roof rails (may even be standard)

Not quite the same as hardpoints though…

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Leon FR 1.8TSI

Good call. As pointed out by Gary_M, lacks a few toys found in Focus Titanium X, but overall a better car to drive and the 1.8 is a great mix of performance and economy.

pondo

Company motor’s a 65 plate Focus, albeit diesel – a lovely place to pass the time if you have a bunch of miles to do, lots of toys, too. Only a 1.5 turbo diesel, it’s not a sportscar but plenty of oomph. Got no problem looking at the petrol equivelant when it goes back.

bikebouy
    Free Member

D2 version of this…

bikebouy
    Free Member

coolhandluke
    Free Member

What Jamesfts said.

Good call BTW.

Superficial
    Free Member

I had a 1 series (m135i as it happens). I loved it, and would have kept it if I could. I can’t get excited about a Golf, even though I accept they’re perfectly fine.

I think the sensible money goes on a Golf, Civic or Focus?

Furious

Another vote for the Mazda 3. Ours is the fastback but the rear seats fold and I can get my bike in the back. Comfy and well equipped. In sports nav trim it’s a very pleasant place to sit on a long journey. It also bucks the trend of small turbo charged petrols with a normally aspirated 2 litre yet still only costs £30 a year to tax (admittedly not the biggest cost of running a car!)

bensales
    Free Member

I’ll 2nd (3rd?) the Mazda 3. I really like ours, which we bought new in 2014. We’ve got the 2l 120bhp ‘Sport Nav’ version which has all the toys you’d need (apart from a DAB radio for some weird reason, but I believe that’s standard now). It can be a bit crashy over speed bumps but is a very decent car for the money and very frugal on petrol unless my wife is driving. With the full leather interior its a really nice place to be as well.

Frankly one of our main reasons for buying it was that it wasn’t a Golf or a Focus.

pictonroad

Fabia Estate? It’s golf sized but with roof rails so better for bike carrying on the roof. Boot is huge and comes with all the same VAG toys if specced right. DSG, Auto cruise etc. Kind of a single car niche, I think Seat make a comparable car.

aidso
    Free Member

The Golf seems to be very black and white – some people love it and others detest it. Full leather in the Mazda sounds pretty sweet and should make it easier to wipe out the mud after a race…

Just to clarify on the roof mounts above – I suggested “on the roof” which covers clamps as well as rails :). I just find putting the bikes on top more convenient than wrestling with a tow bar

I’d love a Fabia VRS but unfortunately they dont exist and the Monte Carlo as beautiful as I think it is, only goes up to a 1.2 engine. That wont have enough grunt when I’m 3-up with cargo.

Kryton57

Fabia Estate?

What Cars small estate of the year 2017 i believe.

Im quite drawn to a Golf estate, but put off by the Tartan seats in the GT spec cars. I really wanted Leather in my next car.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Changing the car – a nice hatchback?’ is closed to new replies.