Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Changing rotors, do I need to re bed in the brakes?
  • tomhoward

Erm, well, do I?

LapSteel
    Free Member

Didn’t need to when I changed mine……I daresay you might have to if they are brand new rotors though

bigyinn
    Free Member

You would be well advised to perhaps clean the pads with IPA and possibly sand with some 800 sandpaper. Then find a nice steep hill and do 4 or 5 hard stops to conform the pad to the rotor. Oh also, clean the rotor with IPA to make sure there is no protective oil on it.

LapSteel
    Free Member

Don’t use surgical spirits to clean pads…I did and had to buy new pads!

MSP

No, bedding in is about heat cycling the pads and compressing them while doing so.

Some people claim its about getting pad material on the rotors, I think that’s nonsense.

bigyinn
    Free Member

MSP its a scientific fact. Its about leaving a fine layer of pad on the surface rotor.
    You also need to fit the pad to the surface of the rotor.

v8ninety

No. Just ride. It’ll be alright.

MSP

its a scientific fact

Well that’s convinced me!

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

it’ll be OK – go and ride

dannyh
    Free Member

The advice about giving the rotor a good scrubbing is the best thing – use IPA or meths. I would try to bed them in a bit as well as the theory is you ‘key’ the pads to the rotor by leaving a small amount of pad on the rotor.

I find pads incredibly inconsistent. My current pads have lasted ages – loads of mud, winter rides in the Peaks etc. I did take the trouble to burn them in quite well, though.

However, I think my second longest running set were just bedded in while riding normally – some that I have bedded in have disappeared in no time!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Changing rotors, do I need to re bed in the brakes?’ is closed to new replies.