Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Changing rims?
  • Fishbone
    Free Member

I have some Hope hoops, DT Swiss EX5.1d rims bulit onto Hope Pro2, and am thinking of changing the rims over to Mavic xc717? Can you use the same spokes or will I need new ones? Was thinking I could swap the rims over and then get my LBS to true them up propely? I have never built wheels so any help would be great.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

The Godfather
    This should help you out, This has helped so many people i know (including myself) build wheels.

Not ideal to use same spokes, but i have known people do it (with same rims)

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

spoke calculator

This should also help you.

younggeoff

It's perfectly ok to reuse the spokes, if the rims are the same ERD you'll be fine

nickc

I have never built wheels so any help would be great.

Take the whole lot down to an LBS and get them to do it for you.

Failing that. As long as the wheels have an ERD within 1-2mm of each other, and the spokes haven't had too hard a life, then it's perfectly possible to re-use spokes. (buy a pack anyway, just in case when you undo them them they turn out to be worse than you thought, and you need to replace one or two.)

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Lossen all the spokes, then tape one rim to the other in the same orientation (the spoke holes are slightly offset). Then transfer each spoke to the new rim one at a time.

i've done it several times, sometimes taking the wheel to the bike shop to true, or doing it myself.

younggeoff

ERD of the DTSWISS is 539 and the Mavic XC717 is apparantley 538.5 even though it's listed as 541. You should be fine with the same spokes

Fishbone
    Free Member

Cheers guys for all your help.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Tape the two rims together and transfer each spoke over one at a time and it'll be much quicker to lace in your instance 🙂

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

You'll need a beer too. 😆

Good way to spend an hour or so.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I'll give you a hand when I get back from France, built the wheels on my solid!

Got some red nipples as well so you could go silver then red then silver then red and so on!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Changing rims?’ is closed to new replies.