Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Changing name by deed poll?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

How difficult/expensive is it?

I just want to add an additional middle name

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Do you have the internet?

uwe-r
    Free Member

Its dead easy.

The issues come with changing your name on your passport, driving license, bank account etc. All a massive pita.

kahunajb
    Free Member

What middle name do you want to add?

hels
    Free Member

Can I guess “Bananahammock” ?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Is it going to be Tiberius?

teethgrinder

“Sheffield”

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It’s actually very cheap. You are only paying administrative costs, there is no equity or value that you are buying. A few years ago I considered a private plate for my car. To get one even close to something which matched my name was going to cost me about £2500. In the end it was much cheaper to change my name to KD03MHR.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Always remember working in the dole office during uni holidays having to call for a ‘Mr Rocky Balboa’.

dknwhy

We’ve got Luke Skywalker as a customer…….. We also have Paul Ness but I don’t think he chose that one.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ll see you mine if you want. I never use it. Its utterly pointless. Its Christopher. Lets say £100 per letter so thats £1100. I’ll do a STW discount so lets call it a round £1000.

scaredypants

OP, if you go for DaveyBoyChristopherWonder’s offer, go low – he’s gonna be desperate to lose it, isn’t he ? Ruins the flow

PiknMix
    Free Member

I think it cost me £40 to do mine, you need someone to witness you signing it, then send it off.

You have to pay to get your passport changed to your new name (about £60) but your driving license is free. Then it’s just a case of going to the bank with your deed and they will change your name there and then. I didn’t change all my utility bills until I moved house.

globalti
    Free Member

I think it cost me £40 to do mine, you need someone to witness you signing it, then send it off.

You paid £40 to add n to your name? You was had mate.

acidchunks

You can do it for free.

It’s just a standard document really. There’s no central register of names, you just need to send copies off to the right places (+ some paperwork for passport and driving licence etc)

I used this: http://www.freedeedpoll.org.uk/

It’s worthwhile printing it on nice quality paper as it looks more official, also it’s a good idea to print out a few copies for you and your witnesses to sign.

Hth

crankboy
    Free Member

your name is whatever you want it to be and is used by you the trick is getting that recognised by the authorities hence the change of name “deed” we do for £50 plus vat . ” I old name hereby relinquish and abandon the name old name and in place adopt and assume the name new name . I call on all persons and agencies to address me in the new name in place of the name old name some more tautologous guff signed new name formally old name. date. witness date.

thecaptain
    Free Member

My understanding is there’s no need for deed poll especially if you are just adding a name: if you get some respected person (doctor or MP) to write to you using full adopted name then that is evidence enough.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I’m surprised how many people seem to have done this. Would it be indelicate to ask why you did?

PiknMix
    Free Member

I did it because I wanted to change my name 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

Solicitor across the road from me did mine as a Statutory Declaration for £5 and threw in 5 notarised copies, too.

The cost comes in the time and money to get everything else changed. Was £90 for the passport, £30 for the driving licence, I seem to remember.

Rachel

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

OP, if you go for DaveyBoyChristopherWonder’s offer, go low – he’s gonna be desperate to lose it, isn’t he ? Ruins the flow

The more you say it out loud, the more I think its got something about it. Price has gone up now to £150000 as I’ve become quite attached to it. Its still pointless though.

crankboy
    Free Member

allthegear you got a bargain unless you drafted it yourself and they were just charging a fee for administering the oath in which case you got a bargain as the oath fee is £5 plus £2.50 for each certified copy.

theotherjonv

Idle interest led me to the linked site, whereupon i read that if you are married then your spouse has to also give permission?

Did i understand that right?

It scuppers my ideas. She won’t let me change channels on the TV, so getting Bigwinkie double barreled onto my surname is looking unlikely.

jekkyl

max power?

allthegear
    Free Member

crankboy – yes, I drafted it myself, there are plenty of examples on the Internet.

Was kind of amusing having to stand and read it out loud in front of her so she could notarise it, though. I think I got a discount for the amusement value.

I really must get around to getting a new birth certificate – I’ve been due one for about two years now and not bothered. Mainly ‘cos that’s £150!!

Many things have changed about me but clearly not my Yorkshireness…

Rachel

cinnamon_girl

Easy to do but the pita bit was mistakes made by organisations who were incapable of reading!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Changing name by deed poll?’ is closed to new replies.