Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Changing my working hours. Advice please
  • Amos
    Free Member

My wife and I both work full time, we have a 2 year old who attends nursery. Now to make my life alot simpler I am thinking of asking to change me working hours from 8-5 to 9-6. As I can then deliver nipper to nursery and work late if necessary as my wife will be able to pick her up as she can start work earlier hence leaving earlier. This, though beneficial to me would aid my company as I'll be free to work later.

Do I have any rights (in law) to do this or is it merely at my companies descretion?

Cheers Mat

cynic-al
    Free Member

There's recent legislation on employers making reasonable changes for parents/carers IIRC, can't remember it. Otherwise you wouldn't have any "right" to change your T&Cs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You have the right for it to be considered. You don't have rht right to chose your hours.

http://www.worksmart.org.uk/rights/viewsubsection.php?sun=56

woody2000

You have the right to ask for the change, but it's up to the company to decide if they want to give it to you AFAIK.

muggomagic

Look at the direct gov site. There are rules for parents/guardians with children under a certain age, where the employer has to give good reason not to allow changes. These can be in the form of flexible hours or compressed hours. Your request seems perfectly reasonable, so long as there is not something that must happen at 8am that cannot wait until 9, then it should be quite straight forward.

muggomagic

taken from the directgov site

Your employer must consider your request on business grounds. They can only reject your application for one of the following business reasons:
    burden of additional costs
    detrimental effect on ability to meet customer demand
    inability to reorganise work among existing staff
    inability to recruit additional staff
    detrimental impact on quality
    detrimental impact on performance
    insufficiency of work during the periods the employee proposes to work
    planned structural changes

uplink
    Free Member

What it boils down to is ………

They'll take a few days to make their mind up – so it looks like they're considering it

If they want to let you – they will
    If they don't – they won't & make one of the reasons above fit the decision

Junkyard
    Free Member

as above but they really will have to be prepared to defnd in cour tthat the decision is based on one of the reasons above or they will be wide open to a claim against them.
    Are you in a Union as this will help if you need to appeal with free cover etc
    Do you work Flexi – hours can you do this anyway?
    Have other done similar?
    You could also consider giving them the option of the hours above or reducing your total hours worked by one hour a day –it is generally harder to explain why you not being employed for one hour a day will lead to the company falling apart and having other PT staff there enhances your case.

Amos
    Free Member

Thanks STW massive, all very helpful, been to our HR department who were also exteremly helpful, now need to discuss with my foreman (this is where it becomes interesting!)

Cheers Mat

fubar
    Free Member

make a formal request in writing so they have to give you a considered written response….having a word can / often does not get a proper consideration. I think there is a standard form to make the request on
    (p.s. now working from home 2 days a week thanks to the request I made – happy days and see my daughter more)

As per above, you have the right to request. If the employer refuses (even with 'valid' reason as per above), you may still get your request IF you can prove a form of workplace discrimination:

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/your-rights/gender/sex-discrimination-your-rights-at-work/family-friendly-working/

Basically, if the employer refuses, and you can find an opposite sex 'comparitor' who has had their request granted then you MAY have your employer over the proverbial barrel.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Changing my working hours. Advice please’ is closed to new replies.