Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Changing my new orange five to 2 x 10 spd…….
  • moniex
    Free Member

Just got a new to me 2011 orange 5 with a 3 x 10 spd set up. I have always ridden 2 x 9 spd with 36 middle ring, and I want to change the orange five to a 2 x 10 set up. The 5 has a 32 middle ring. Can I change the middle ring on the orange 5 with a 34 or 36t ring? Can I put on my current 36t ring? Or do I need a special 10 spd ring? If so which one would you recommend…

Thanks Simone

Jeffus
    Free Member

You can’t run the 5 with a 36 or 34 in a double only a 32 , I’ve run mine with a 34 and 36 in a 1×9, 1×10 set up, there is not enough clearance to drop down to the granny ring, had the same problem on my SC Heckler.

moniex
    Free Member

That’s a shame, as I like heavy gears and have been happy with the 36 up front. Would the 2×10 be ok with a 32 up front? or ride 1×10 on a 34?

Thx Simone

Jeffus
    Free Member

1 x 10 on a 34 up front has been my personal fav set up , 32 spins out too easy and 36 for me can get a bit tiring on big rides with tons of climbing, my 5 does pedal better with a 36 upfront don’t know why but something feels better . 😀 I run a 36-11 at the back.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Jeffus – Member
    You can’t run the 5 with a 36 or 34 in a double only a 32 , I’ve run mine with a 34 and 36 in a 1×9, 1×10 set up, there is not enough clearance to drop down to the granny ring, had the same problem on my SC Heckler.

Can you explain this please?

Why & where does running a 34 or 36t front ring create clearance issues as my mate has a 34/22 on the front of his Five and has no obvious issues.

Jeffus
    Free Member

My friend recently had to wait for a 32 ring because the bike shop said the 34-36 would not fit because of the clearance when dropping down to granny ring, if I’m wrong I’m sorry.

Orangejohn
    Free Member

I had this exact problem with my 5 when trying to fit a 36 middle (twin and bash).
    When changing from middle to inner the chain would foul the weld on the pivot clamp area. If the weld had been smoother or not as much of it there would not have been an issue.
    I guess some have neater welds than others.
    I did think of filing it but decided against this option and stuck with a 32 which cleared it with no problems.

ads678

I ran 36/24 and am currently running 36/22 on an Orange Five. So it does work. Admittedly mine is an older frame (2005) than the op’s and it’s with an Octolink BB/crankset but i’ve heard of others running the same set up on more modern Fives.

What does the Five AM have?

Matt24k
    Free Member

Have a look in the FAQ section on the Orange site.
    http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/support/faqs/
    It is specific to XTR and 2011 frames but should point you in the right direction with regard to 2×10 or not.

jam-bo

You can’t run the 5 with a 36 or 34 in a double only a 32

chop and change the BB spacers and you can.

njee20
    Free Member

Then your chainset’s off centre, which isn’t ideal.

cardo

I have a 2010 20″ frame with an SLX double and bash 36/22.. it works fine ,a little tight for room but I’ve never had an issue with it catching the frame.

moniex
    Free Member

Mmm, still confused. I may just have to try it. Mine is a 16″ frame by the way fom 2011.

catvet
    Free Member

I run a 34/22 on my 2010 five, with a 34/11 on back. No problem.

moniex
    Free Member

Will the chainrings from my 9 spd set up be ok?

Cheers Simone

jam-bo

Then your chainset’s off centre, which isn’t ideal.

by 2.5mm which is barely noticable.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

orange told me directly 2×10 isnt possible on the five…..

really annoyed if so, as i went 3×10 xt and i wanted to go 2×10 xt…..

so is anybody running the new xt chainset 2×10 on the five frame? with a 11/36 rear cassette?

all the wording on the site suggests you can’t but the above it seems many are!?!?!?!

flow
    Free Member

Keep 3 rings!

njee20
    Free Member

by 2.5mm which is barely noticable.

Could cause problems though, just saying…

ads678

mines 2×9 36/22, but surely the only difference between that and 2×10 is on the back wheel?

moniex
    Free Member

…anyone tried it on a 16″ 2011 frame and has some advice?…..

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Changing my new orange five to 2 x 10 spd…….’ is closed to new replies.