Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Changing Lapierre Zesty bearings…
  • vincienup
    Free Member

2010 bike so older style x link.

I can’t get the anodised bolts out of the bottom of the link to get at those two bearings – the bottom half being the two bolts the rear of the shock passes through and secures to the seat stays. Shock’s out fine. All the other bolts are out fine, just these two don’t want to move. I’m applying usual ‘lefty loosey righty tighty’ logic and an 8″ ratchet and it feels like I’m applying too much force or a longer lever would be a good plan. Obviously I don’t want to break anything.

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? Had hoped to have this bike riding tomorrow…

chrisdw
    Free Member

I had this issue first time I took my spicy apart. They screw in from the inside. So when unscrewing from the outside it will be righty loosey as its essentially the back of the bolt, not the head.

vincienup
    Free Member

Ha. K, was wondering if it was a reverse thread or something.

Just as well I didn’t get the hammer out! :). Cheers!

chrisdw
    Free Member

The thread is a normal thread but because you are at the end of the bolt. rather than the top you have to screw the other way. the flat plates in the middle that push up against the shock bushings are the head of the bolt.

Took me a while to work out too!

treefeller
    Free Member

Cheers for that also,it never ceases to amaze what nuggets of info you come across on stw!

vincienup
    Free Member

It made a hell of a crack when I undid it, too! Possibly my fault from heaving in the wrong direction.

Looking at the bush pressed into the lower x-link bearings, I think we’ve identified where Lapierre Creak originates, too…

robhughes
    Free Member

How the hell do you get these out.Looking at the driveside bearing there is a thread on the inside of that so has to be undone from the outside.
    On the non driveside do you have to undo this from the inside.Allen key slips quite away in before it locates.
    My brain hurts.
    Got the non driveside out.Does the drivesde just undo the same.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Not quite sure what you mean?
    Is it the bolt at the bottom of the ‘X’ link you are trying to remove?
    like this…

robhughes
    Free Member

Thanks for the pic Chris.I got it out in the end.As above didn’t half crack coming out.Used a star drive on it as it was close to rounding even with a brand new Bondhus allen.
    Cheers anyway..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Changing Lapierre Zesty bearings…’ is closed to new replies.