Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • changing hose on new type slx brakes ?
  • renton
    Free Member

just bought some secondhand slx brakes and I will need to change the rear hose as it isnt long enough.

where can I get the correct hose from

is it easy to do (done older shimano stuff)

do shimano brakes still use mineral oil?

any tips for doing it ??

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Hose can be got from Chain reaction.

Then get: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Disc-Brake-Bleed-Kit-Deore-SLX-XT-Saint-XTR-/170845191083?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item27c72abbab

Very easy to do with this kit.Look up “Shimano brake bleed” on you tube.Some good tutorials on there.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Just make sure you have something appropriate (vice is ideal, molegrips ok) to clamp the hose in the little yellow blocks when tapping the brass insert into the end. It’s important to get this flush and neat for a good seal.

It’s still mineral oil too 🙂

perthmtb
    Free Member

Just be aware that the hose and fittings are different between different generations of SLX. So, if your set is M665 you need BH59 hose and Shimano’s gold coloured barbed insert. But if they are the new M666 brakes, you need BH90 hose and the silver coloured insert on one end, and a banjo fitting on the other.

renton
    Free Member

will the gold insert not fit then as i have 2 new ones lying around.

perthmtb
    Free Member

will the gold insert not fit then as i have 2 new ones lying around

If you’ve got M666 and BH90 hose, apparently not! Although the olives are the same for BH59 and BH90 hose because the outside diameter is the same, I’m told the BH90 hose has smaller ID, and the silver inserts are both smaller diameter and shorter than the gold ones.

Edit: confirmed by the Shimano tech doc here

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘changing hose on new type slx brakes ?’ is closed to new replies.