• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by IA.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Changing gears with smaller hands – any suggestions?
  • munkster
    Free Member

OK, so I found that Mrs M was having to take her hand off the bar to change gears (basic Deore shifters) because she said she couldn't reach otherwise (with her thumb) so I thought I'd try her with some flappy dual control ones to see whether this would help. She has now proclaimed that these aren't much better, although admittedly it is early days.

I've adjusted the reach of the brake levers so they are very close to the bar but not sure what else I can do. It's on the "adding tension" (for want of a better description) action we are having problems, as I guess would be obvious since that is the longer throw?

Any suggestions? Would Sram shifters be any different in their action? Never used them myself so not sure. Gripshift is a thought but not a very nice one…

TIA, as ever.

surfer
    Free Member

Gripshifts are excellent. My son had the same pronlem so I bought him a set of Sram ones. I was so impressed I put a set of the X0's on my On one.
    I have a fuel EX8 and I prefer the gripshifts to them also.

I think if you try them you wont look back.

munkster
    Free Member

You mean I wouldn't have to buy a second hand Grifter and transplant them off there?? 😉

Interesting though – maybe I will put aside my prejudices then and take a look – would I need to get a Sram rear mech though? Presume the front mech would work fine?

gusamc
    Free Member

Hi

this may not help if she can't reach the shifters, but I've taught my 4ft 10 gf to 'pump' the lh thumb shifter – she hasn't the power or the reach to chane in a oner but if you just do smaller pumps that works

shedfull
    Free Member

You'll need an SRAM X series rear mech to work with their X series shifters – grip or lever type. SRAM shifters work with any front mech, though.

surfer
    Free Member

ou mean I wouldn't have to buy a second hand Grifter and transplant them off there??

I thought exactly the same as you 😛 but I have been impressed by the "feel" and the fact that you can rapid shift up and down the block.

IA

My GF had issues with deore rapidfires too, changed to gripshift and no issues.

Though her good MTB now has XT rapidfires on it, which she gets on fine with as they're a better action for small hands (lighter and push them less).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Changing gears with smaller hands – any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.