Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • changing from QRs to bolt up skewers – views?
  • snowpaul
    Free Member

hello all,

I am toying with getting rid of my QRs for some bolt up skewers – dont often use them so could live with using a ‘slower’ release method when i puncture and therefore I could lose a bit of weight and maybe make a safer / more secure connection with the fork or indeed better from a theft point of view…

Has anyone done this and regretted it? currently use hope / shimnao skewers and was looking at some control tech tis etc – any other suggestions?

thanks in advance

paul

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ti skewers? Stretchy and less secure. Bolt up skewers make no difference to the wheel eject disc brake thingy. but are obviously more secure from theft

Tim
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Ti skewers? Stretchy and less secure. Bolt up skewers make no difference to the wheel eject disc brake thingy.

I wont start this one again, but they sort of do – a bolt up can’t suddenly release all of its ‘tightness’ in one go, like a none cammed/badly cammed QR can. Less chance of it coming loose enough for ejection. (i know its not the only factor!)

not starting this again, and walking away!

OP! I bought some Kore secure ones for the GF’s bike – been fine so far and you can get them nice and tight. Careful though – some of them do grind away at the dropout a bit as its been designed for QR

kimbers

i got some on my cummuter, just the cheapest ebay specials and theyve not come loose once and i ride 10miles 5 days a week

snowpaul
    Free Member

thanks guys

not too worried re fork legs wandering – more inclined to save weight and add security from theft

cheers so far

paul

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘changing from QRs to bolt up skewers – views?’ is closed to new replies.