Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Changing from Android to Apple??
  • Android
    Free Member

I have had a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 for the last couple years, however this week it passed away, not able to go any further than the logo screen, I have taken it to be re-flashed but even the doctors were unable to breathe life back into it.

I have an HTC One phone and don’t have any issues with Android, however I am considering trying an Ipad, mainly because of GarageBand.

So I guess my question is, is it worth the change just for GB, the downside being I need to start an Apple account and learn the new OS and spend a few more quid, or is there a GB alternative for Android, stick with the OS I’m used to and save a few £’s.

Also the Samsung seem to sell the widest range of Android tablet, but finding it a little hard buying another when the last one didn’t last as long as I had hoped.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

richc
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t switch to Apple as you seem to be paying $$$$ just for the logo when they aren’t that much better than the Android equivalents. Also *everything* other than Apple is pretty much Android based as its in pretty much every embedded system.

Insofar for tablets, I haven’t had a Samsung, but I have had a play with a few (Asus, Nexus, iPad, iPad mini, Kindle, Kindle Fire HD) and the one I have the moment that I am very pleased with is the Nvidia shield. The screen is very very sharp, and does everything it should with little fuss; so may be worth a look.

kimbers

youll have to change your username too

personally id just get a lenovo tablet or similar, unless you really want to spend the extra

cheekyget
    Free Member

Get a Nokia 8210…..I still got mine!!

Somewhere…lol

nixie

I’m considering buying an ipad to replace my old android tablet but only because the bluetooth stack appears to be more stable on apple devices at the moment (and I have a device that using bluetooth that won’t play with android currently). Other than that there is no good reason to pay over the top for the same, or often less, functionality just because it has a fruit silhouette on it.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I’d go for it, iPads are generally much better than the android equivalents, in fact the best Android tablet I’ve used is still the 2013 Nexus7, I’ve recently bought a Nexus 9 which was absolute garbage returned it and have a Samsung Tab S which is brilliant hardware wise, TouchWiz however while not as craptacular as I’ve been led to believe is excrement.

Gilesey
    Free Member

If you want Garageband and decent audio production apps on a tablet, then get an iPad. Nothing really to compare AFAIK on Android.

I prefer the Android ecosystem, though. Change of jobs means I’m handing back my work iPad and want something for casual surfing, spotify, Destiny companion apps etc. so I’ve just bought a Nexus 9 with my own hard-earned. (£178.99 from bespoke offers – details in the comments here)

pirahna
    Free Member

Go for it, but don’t get sucked into the Apple infrastructure. You’ll need a new email address which will be something@me.com, you’ll be prompted to create this during setup.

Install the Google apps your used to and use them, this makes it a doddle to swap back at a later date. Keep your existing Gmail address and use the Gmail app, only use the Apple mail app for your me.com mail. Same for calendar etc.

Don’t put music into iTunes, don’t put pictures (or anything else) into iCloud, you can use Google drive for this. Basically, think what you’re doing and don’t use any apps on the Apple device that you can’t get on Android.

xiphon
    Free Member

You don’t need to use an Apple email…. I just used my regular gmail one.

Drac

You don’t need to use an Apple email…. I just used my regular gmail one.

Precisely and putting things in the icloud isn’t the work of the Devil, it really works very well.

Android
    Free Member

Thanks for all your replies, I was going with Android until about half way down when it starts to swing the other way.

I guess I could go the Apple route and if I don’t get on with it pass it on to my wife as she has an early Ipad which is probably getting a bit long in the tooth.

dannybgoode

@Drac – putting things into which ever cloud you like the look of isn’t a bad thing in itself; unless its the only ‘backup’ copy of said treasured photo / document you have.

Other than that they all work great (OneDrive for me)…

GrahamS

You’ll need a new email address which will be something@me.com

No you wont.

(Apple account here, tied to my own email address at my own domain).

Keep your existing Gmail address and use the Gmail app, only use the Apple mail app for your me.com mail. Same for calendar etc.

I use the Mail app for my personal and work email accounts (neither of which are Apple). That doesn’t tie me into Apple Mail in any way at all (at work I still happily use Outlook for work email and the web interface for my personal email).

Likewise we use multiple Google Calendars to keep ourselves organised, which I can happily browse online at a PC or via the Apple Calendar app on my iPhone or iPad.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Changing from Android to Apple??’ is closed to new replies.