Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Changing fox lowers, is it a DIY job?
  • enigmas
    Free Member

A few months back i managed to de-thread one of the post mount threads on my forks, At the time i used a longer bolt to use the remaining thread further in, which has been fine.

I’m now looking at new wheelsets and i’m tempted to upgrade the lowers at the same time to a 15mm thru axle one. Obviously I can’t just sell the fork and buy a new one due to the damaged thread.

Do you do a standard lowers service and just put the new ones on?
    A quick google search seems to indicate the new lowers don’t come with bushings though, anyone know if that’s the case? I can’t see anything about it on the mojo site. 😕

Fork is a 2011 fox f-100 rl o/b

khani
    Free Member

Here.. I’ve done it, came ready to fit, apply decals, slide em on, put some oil in the bottom, tighten them up,..
    I took the foam rings out and soaked them in oil before I fitted em..

TheSwede
    Free Member

Buy new lowers, they come with dust seals and foam rings, buy float fluid pillow pack, crush washers and fork oil at the same time and pop on. Easy peasy. This service link may help. Forks may differ but they are all pretty similar.

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/Forks/F-Series/F100RL_F80RL.htm

enigmas
    Free Member

Cheers guys, i’ve serviced the lowers a few times before so the job should be a doddle

A search showed this ,which seemed to indicate the lowers don’t come with bushings, which would make the job a lot more difficult. But if they do then it’s all good 😀

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Tbf for that fork you’re probably better off keeping an eye on the classified and buying a used one. I would think the cost of new lowers would be prohibitive. That way you can still eBay your existing forks to make back some cash, someone will still have them even with a stripped thread.

julians
    Free Member

You could just use a helicoil to fix the stripped thread, would be good as new after doing that

khani
    Free Member

I’ve got some that have been helicoiled, good as new now, probably better, nice steel thread…not threaded magnesium..

bren2709

They don’t use float fluid on foam rings now!
    Green 10wt oil is recommended by Fox Shox.

enigmas
    Free Member

I’m taking it down to a mates garage tomorrow to get it helicoiled, figured that it’s a permanant repair if I keep the lowers or if i sell them i won’t have to worry about getting an angry buyer at the door with no teeth but a set of bombers.. 😀

bren2709 – Member

They don’t use float fluid on foam rings now!
    Green 10wt oil is recommended by Fox Shox.

I emailed mojo last time i did a lowers service, they recommended float fluid as it copes better with all the mud we get in the uk 😕

juan
    Free Member

Use an helicoil on the stripped frame, as good as new, only better 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Changing fox lowers, is it a DIY job?’ is closed to new replies.