Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Changing forks from 100 to 120 on a XC Hardtail?
  • stewart4444
    Free Member

Hi

Short question;
    If a change to 120mm fork from a 100mm on a hard tail frame designed for a 100mm fork. Is it going to snap?

the Waffle.
    I have 100mm RS Reba SL dual air on my 2009 Giant XTC.
    I think the reba’s are 2010 (cos that’s when I bought them) I also think it’s the type where a spacer can be removed/added to adjust travel to 80/100/120.
    There due a full service so I was thinking of removing the spacers and making them 120mm but putting them back on the Giant XTC frame.

Will the slight increase in head angle cause much more stress?

alanf
    Free Member

I’m running 120mm on my Anthem designed around 100mm without problems and a much longer fork than the original 63mm on my aging Zaskar again without problems.
    I don’t think 20mm makes too much differenc ein the grand scheme of things and when you factor in sag it will be less than 20mm anyway.

darrenspink
    Free Member

If the bike came with 100mm then 120 would be fine. I had a Giant xtc once that came with 80 and I ran 100 on it for years.

bigblackshed

I run my Sanderson Soloist SS with 120mm Revs. Designed for 100mm ish. Rides far nicer at 120mm and I’ve not snapped it yet.

I’m a gurt fat heffer, too.

will
    Free Member

Was thinking the exact same thing with my XTC.

Does U-Turn still exist? as that would be ideal!

stewart4444
    Free Member

superb!
    thanks for the replies.
    I didn’t think it would cause too much of a problem. Especially as i’m only ten & half stone.

Sundayjumper

I briefly ran some 120mm forks on my Stumpjumper HT that is designed for 100mm, knowing that Specialized wouldn’t warranty the frame if used with 120mm forks.

All it did was mellow the handling a bit, which tbh was quite nice as it’s quite quick-handling normally. Nobody died.

So yes, you will be fine. Unless you’re the type to worry about OMG THE WARRANTY.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Changing forks from 100 to 120 on a XC Hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.