Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Changing fork to bigger stanchion…
  • baz2963
    Free Member

Hi all,

I just purchased a Canyon Nerve AM 6, used it only twice so far and its a great ride. However on my quest to find the do-it-all bike Im thinking about changing the 32 Talas (dont use the travel adjuster anyway) to either a Fox 36 160 or Lyrik 160.

Do you think that fitting a thicker, 10mm more fork to a 140mm frame would be a bit silly or a reasonable decision ??

Thanks

grum
    Free Member

Is it rated for 160mm forks? I went from 140mm Pikes to 160mm 36 Vans on my Pitch and it’s great imo.

They feel a lot stiffer when blundering through rock gardens etc, as well as plusher and more confidence inspiring.

wwaswas

its a great ride

so why change it?

I’m not sure most people would see fitting heavier longer travel forks to a 140mm travel bike as a way of making it more versatile, but I guess it depends where and how you ride.

Militant_biker

If you’re wanting to change it because you’re riding at the limits of the 32 Talas, then switching to a beefier fork may mean you’d be able to hit stuff loads faster and kill the back end/wheels/other. 😀

Obviously it’s going to slacken the head angle and add some weight, but there’s nothing inherently wrong with running more travel at the front than the rear. Running more travel than the frame was designed, or warrantied, for is another matter…

baz2963
    Free Member

It doesnt mention anywhere that its rated for a 160 fork, however its already fitted with a 150 so would it make a huge difference .. I dunno ?

It is a great ride, but I was thinking more long term and doing the gravity series and possibly megavalanche.

In an ideal world I would have purchased a Strive or Spicy, but the Canyon was good VFM and I ride around with the GF so needed something I can ride on tow paths too.

lcj

Just swapped 32s for 36s on my Five and it’s a good improvement, but mostly from the headangle and length point of view rather than stiffness or increased travel.

momo

160mm 36 is about 20mm longer a2c than a 150mm 32. Great forks though, super stiff, but not light if that’s a concern.

baz2963
    Free Member

I actually dont see a mistake in changing to a 36 160mm as Orange do it to their Five.. but maybe Im overlooking something ??!

Militant_biker

Do you feel like the 150 Talas is flexy? Is the 15mm QR bolt through version? If it is, you’ll get some, but not a massive amount of stiffness by going up to a 20mm axled 36.

10mm extra travel and a little more stiffness doesn’t sound worth shelling out for a new fork (to me), unless you can sell the original on for loadsa money and get a great price on a 36…

baz2963
    Free Member

mmmmm .. it doesnt feel overly flexy, my main reason for swapping out was not utilising the adjustable travel, so its more of an excuse.

Looking at a Coil Lyrik for 599.. obviously need a front wheel too at 95.

st

As above, if you;re startign to feel that the 32 is flexy then a change up could be a good thing. Not using the travel adjuster doesn’t seem like the most though through reason, why not just continue not using it. If you’re looking at a 160 coil Lyrik then you still have a travel adjuster not to use.

I had Lyriks and they were ace until they started leaking at the floodgate which seems to be (was?) a common problem, I lost a bit of confidence at that point and sold them on. Would be tempted to get another set and disable the Floodgate.

Not quite the same thing but I’ve just fitted 35mm stanchioned Boxxers to my Stinky to repalce some 66s and the difference in stiffness is massive, never thought I’d ever notice a change but I have. Of course this compares a single crown fork with a dual crown but the stiffer the better I say (fnaarr)

mildred

I generally find the 32 float series of fork to feel quite flexy when compared to say the RS Pike or Rev’s; I also seem to get more brake rub on the rotors using this fork (140mm 32 float rl with 15mm axle). You will notice a difference going up to 36’s, Lyrics… (I did). having said that – I did not feel any difference with a tapered headtube than standard 1 1/8th (I know you didn’t ask this but its just my two penneth).

fbk
    Free Member

In a quest for the “do-it-all” bike, there’s always going to be a compromise. Bigger forks will put a significant bit of weight on the bike and raise the headtube up a bit – consequence is probably a bit more stable on the downs but not so nice on the ups. Depends where you want the most “help” really I guess.

I’ve just bought a Zesty and was thinking of spec’ing it with a bigger fork. I decided I needed more help on the climbs so stuck with the 140 Floats and haven’t regretted it so far. As others have said, I’d be tempted to ride it and find where the limits are. If you feel the need for more up front, or are starting to feel a bit of flex then bigger forks are the way forward. I would do it “just because” though.

trailflow
    Free Member

36 floats 160’s are about 190 grams heavier then talas

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Changing fork to bigger stanchion…’ is closed to new replies.