Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • changing fork oil on motorcycles ..worth doing if no viscosity change planned?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

owned a few bikes over the years but never changed the fork oil (as far as I can remember ). just wondered if it’s worth the hassle if the bikes haven’t done big mileages or been used off road and jetwashed regularly. I can see that if you required changes in damping characteristics a different weight oil would be noticeable but otherwise ? I’d imagine most diy servicers commonly skip this task also.
    your experiences /advice much appreciated
    thanks
    Bill

Pigface
    Free Member

Yeah I would say so. Freshens things up even if it is just in your mind.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’m a DIY servicer & always do the fork oil.

hopefiendboy

yes. I’ll post a pic tomorrow and show you the residue left after the first fork oil change in 19k miles (scheduled for 16k miles). Replaced bushes and fork oil seals at the same time.

br
    Free Member

19k in how many years?

totalshell

as an average bike rider i suspect you ll never notice unless your running mud at the moment. as a builer and rider of pre 65 trials bike i bbuild forks regularly ( did a pair yesterday) i have a simple motto if it aint broke dont fix it. if it aint leaking dont touch it.

changing the seals is the easy bit stripping the front end and putting it back together is the mind numbing pian in the r’s sort of job best avoided.

hopefiendboy

11! I am owner no2, bike mint otherwise. And good time to re-pack head bearings whilst yer in there faffing about!

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Depends on how old it is. 1-2 years or 5-10k miles no. Over that, yes.

Trackbike gets a change every year.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘changing fork oil on motorcycles ..worth doing if no viscosity change planned?’ is closed to new replies.